Anderson casement window crank replacement needed

A home owner from Brooklyn, NY says:
Hello, I have a 23.5x35 inch (roughly) kitchen casement window (Andersen), and the crank handle no longer closes the window. It will open, but the crank simply comes out of the fixture when I try to close the window again. Reading other posts, it seems like the worm screw has disengaged.

I have attached four photos to help identify the window and part. The window glass appears to show the Andersen logo with the letters XI at the base, the number 9 on the left and the figure 7H on the right.

The crank says Andersen Windowwall and the number 108 on the crank bar. There is also the letter L to the right of the word WindowWall, but I can't see anything else.

Lastly, I include a photo of disengaged worm screw and crank mechanism.

I live in downtown Brooklyn and would love to know where or how I can get a replacement for this mechanism, and get my window up and working again!

Thank you
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I think you have one of two types of operator. See our 39-094 and 39-150, both of which have a different sized arm. Let me know if either can work for you.
A home owner from Brooklyn, NY says:
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I enclose another photo, as I'm not sure your replacements are correct, so I seek further info. The shorter one is definitely out. The longer arm seems about right. However, the attachment mechanism is significantly different than mine. And the case cover has no screw holes in it. It's about 4 and 9/16" wide. The space between screw holes in the crank base is 4" (could be 3 and 15/16", but I'm not sure), but there are four such holes in the base, not two, and again, none in the cover.

Is there another option that might be more appropriate? I'd really love to find the exact same thing, for simplicity's sake. Is there another way I would know for sure what the right part is?

Also, do you have to use the related under window baseboard pictured? or does the arm attachment piece simply pop on and off of the existing baseboard bar? The window is very high up, and I'd have a hard time removing and replacing that part!

Thank you,
Maggi
User submitted a photo of a window operator.
Hey, Maggi, hopefully I can help explain. Your Andersen operator is an older version. It actually still has those two screw holes, except our new version has a plastic cover that exposes them to make for an easier installation.

The thing is, looking at your first couple photos, it seems that you do not use those front two holes because of the tile sill. That makes sense, since tile is harder to work with when it comes to screws. I think if you were to remove the plastic cover and wood sill trim, you will note that yours has the same hole pattern in the base as ours.

Take a look at this video on replacing an operator in a wood casement window. This video features a different operator, but the principle of removing the wood trim remains the same. I think it will help you. In terms of the attachment at the end of the arm, it should pop off the track at the bottom of the sash.
A home owner from brooklyn, NY says:
Dave, this all makes sense to me. I have replaced such handles before, so I'm sure what you describe is correct. It's just that the cover looked so different I was afraid the interior wouldn't fit what I have. I take it you think the new cover (and crank mechanism) is appropriately sized to replace properly my older outdated model, without having to cut or adjust any of the trim?

Thanks,

Maggi-Meg
Lastly, my crank is on the right side of the window as I look at it from my kitchen sink. Does that mean I want a right hand crank?

MM
As long as your windows are Andersen brand I think you should be okay with the new hardware, yes. As for the handing, based on your picture above I would recommend our 39-094 for that side. The 39-095 would be for the opposite side.
A home owner from Brooklyn says:
Thank you for this reply. I will order the part. If for some reason it doesn't fit is it returnable?
It sure is. See our Return Policy for more information.
Okay, now a new question presents itself: the part you recommend is the hardware. Do I now also need to purchase the related hardware cover and replacement handle? or do you think my old parts will fit over the replacement crank?

Maggi-Meg
Hi Maggi-Meg!

The 39-094 and 39-095 Operators both include their own cover, installation screws and 16" track.

Although, you may want to consider getting new handles, which are sold separately; the 39-286 Casement Window Handle.
A quick learner from NJ says:
I have the exact window and am looking for the same part. I see Dave recomended several part numbers. It is unclear what the replacement part number is. Can't that be determined by the photos? Also if crank is on the right side from the inside does that make it left handed or right.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Dave Sr. recommended either the 39-094 or 39-150 depending on the length of the arm that moves the window sash, which was not specified in the original post. Handing for these parts is determined by the side of the base that the arm attaches to. Thanks for posting! 

Dimensions for 39-094
Dimensions for 39-094

Dimensions for 39-150
Dimensions for 39-150

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.