Appropriate charging of window balancers

A quick learner from Washington DC says:
Hello,
I just brought 2 new 30" black tip series 600 balances.
I followed your video on how to charge these balances, and the window installation went well.
I have a question on the number of rotations of charging, I currently used 2. However the window still takes a little bit of effort to open, my wife who isn't strong can open the window fine with 2 hands. But i want to know how much times I can SAFELY rotate this, without damaging the balances. FYI, i don't know the weight of these sliding windows.

Many Thanks,
Rich.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You can give it another turn, if it's still hard to open. However I wouldn't recommend more than three total turns for a Black Tip spiral balance.
A quick learner says:
Okay, so what your saying is the more tension the easier it would be to open the window. But, as the tension is similar to a rubber band you don't wont to apply too much tension, as it would put too much pressure on the balances. If your window can stay up without any tension, should I still apply 2 turns of clockwise tension?

Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
As you add tension, you make the sash easier to open and stay up without drifting down. In the same instance, it requires more pressure to lower the sash. So just try one window and adjust it to your liking, then go to the next window. Sometimes the same size windows require a different number of charges. If you find a window stays up fine as-is, then leave it be. Just remember that you should only give it three turns at the maximum, especially since you have black tips.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.