Atrium Windows will not stay open

A quick learner from Elizabeth City, NC says:
I have a 1 unit panel with 3 large double hung windows and 2 will not stay open. Prior owner (my father) never opened the windows (new hm built for him. Today I removed one bottom window to identify parts. Upon removal of window and removing the vinyl sleeve on sides the parts fell out. On both sides the pins holding springs were bent for just fell out, roller mechanism's were broken as well. I have more images but only 5 can be uploaded at a time. The metal mechanism length was a total of 30" (image Bracket_2 shows the final length). The only writing on the mechanism is: "U B 29C", I also need the V shaped pile and I have images and dimensions for that as well, so do I submit another set of images or wait for a case number etc. I'm wanting to replace all the mechanism in all 3 windows in this 1 unit, but I'm going to make sure that everything works with first order before ordering everything for the remaining 2. Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BracketLength_2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200523_084841.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200523_090656.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200523_090822.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200523_090954.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This balance looks like a S770-30, with a stamp option of 30C. Just make sure your old balance attaches to the top of the window track via a screw; sometimes we see these balances using a hook instead, in which case it would have to be custom made for you. For the wool pile, we need the exact size of the base and the height of the pile. These dimensions can be very specific, often going into the X/32" range, so be as precise as possible. If you need to replace the pivot shoe as well, we'll need to see it out of the window and you'll need to tell us the exact width and thickness of the shoe. From there, we should be able to help you. 

The wool pile best I can measure is 3/16"W x 1/4"H. The window track does not attach with a screw at the top but attaches w/ a hook. There is a hole at the top of the window and a silver looking hook is inserted into the hole and at the bottom end of the hole is where the balance connects. Just to say again when I removed just one bottom window and removed the vinyl strip the balance just fell out on the left side and on the right sides various pieces were just broken. Unfortunately, I spoke with my father (he was original owner) about this issue he stated that he never opened them for the entire time he lived here. What would be the cost to manufacture necessary balances. I would want to make sure once received and installed that everything works accordingly before ordering for remaining 2 windows within this unit of 3 double hung windows. Thanks for getting back and look forward to hearing from you. Attached are some images of the wool piie.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200513_200013.jpg
Here is a pic of the hook on the right side of window before removing balance. Shows a hook assy. PS: I've not heard back from anyone since my response showing wool pile measurements and asking for price on balance. Appreciate the assistance and have a great day.
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for bearing with me during this busy time of the year. For your wool pile, take a look at the 58-127. This has the dimensions you listed, but if you want to be safe, you can order a sample to try out from our samples page here. Samples are free; only shipping charges apply. 

Thanks for confirming that this balance attaches with S-Clips, like our 19-029 or 19-030. We can install rivets at the top of these balances that the bottom of those clips hook around, while the top of them attach to the hole in the window track. I'm afraid I need just two more pieces of information to get this started: C

• Can you show me what holes at the top of the balance that the rivets are installed in? It should either be the top hole, or second-to-top hole, or both. Again, the bottom of the S-Clip attaches to this rivet, while the top of the clip is what hooks into the window track. 
  • Can you confirm that the exact weight of this window sash is between 19 through 24 lbs? Placing a bathroom scale on the sill and gently lowering the sash onto it would suffice. I just want to make sure these balances need a stamp option of 30C. 
Once we know exactly where to install those rivets, I will write up an order for (2) 30" Series 770 balances, stamped 30C, and with rivets installed at the top. The price will be the cost of the S770-30, plus fifty cent surcharge for the rivet installation. 

Finally, I shouldn't neglect to again mention that if you need to replace the pivot shoes at the bottom of the window tracks, please show us one out of the window along with the width and depth of the shoe. Thanks again for bearing with me we're almost there.

Attached images hopefully will answer needed questions. One image shows the weight of the bottom sash assy of 25.6lbs (rechecked weight multiple times and scale only had a max difference of .4lbs one time. This particular balance the pin for the spring was not there, and the spring isn't there (no pin to hold spring) balance is bent where that pin was orig located. On other side of window the whole balance assy parts just fell out when I originally took vinyl cover off and tried to remove balance. I know that when removing window itself it has some significant weight.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200523_091257.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Today1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Today2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Today3.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me with all this information. This confirms to me that you need the rivet in the second-to-top hole. If your window sash weighs. 25.6 lbs, with little margin for error, then I think a stamp option of 30D is the right way to go (for a sash in the weight range of 24 through 29 lbs). I am glad we checked this!

I am emailing you right now a custom link to order (4) 30" Series 770 balances, stamped 30D, with a rivet installed in the second-to-top hole. You can reuse your old S-Clips, or buy the 19-029 or 19-030 separately. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.