Attaching a Shower Door sweep

A home owner from California says:
Hello helpful and wise ones -

I've attached two photos of our very old shower door. I think we need to simply get an appropriate door sweep and somehow affix it in the proper position.

I'll go in and scrape and clean the metal as best I can but then what do you recommend to affix the door sweep to the cvleaner but still very old metal?

Thanks for any insight!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1950.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1949.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm not sure if we have a vinyl sweep that will mount on that drip rail. I don't see how any would install. There's no slot or notch or anything to slide in a new vinyl, it looks like it's just totally flat on the bottom.

Our best solution may be a new drip rail plus sweep, like our 10-325 (among other sizes that we carry). The thing is, these are designed to mount to the face of the door, not underneath. I'm not sure how well these will work in your case.

I recommend looking the 10-325 over first and tell me if you think this is a possibility. We can then iron out the specifics from there.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I'm afraid the current drip rail looks to me to be part of the door encasing itself. So I'm not sure how we'd be able to take it off and replace it.

I guess I was hoping for a double sided tape or some kind of adhesive that could grip the sweep/vinyl to the metal underneath - but sounds like that probably won't work eh?

Maybe if we buy a vinyl sweep and then drill several holes through it and the metal strip that hangs down. Then use short screws and washers to attached the sweep to that metal strip?

Thanks again for talking this through.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for clarifying! If the drip rail is part of the door frame itself, then that definitely presents a problem. Double stick tape may be a solution, but I'm not sure how well it will work with a vinyl strip. Assuming it's fine, then it would free up your options.

I'm going to direct this to my senior colleagues. They have a lot more experience with shower doors then I do and they should be able to shed some further insight.

Thank you! Would love to hear any thoughts on a relatively easy way to effectively affix a vinyl sweep to metal.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey, hopefully I can help. Looking at your photo showing the bottom of the shower door, it looks like yours is attached with some screws. My thought would be to remove your existing sweep and install the 10-325 like Tom suggested. However I would be afraid to use screws which would have to be "face" mounted. You might damage the glass when trying to drill for the screws. Instead of using screws, I would suggest using a type of "double stick" tape. I believe 3-M company has a foam double stick tape that you should be able to find a a hardware store in your area. As long as you clean the location on the bottom of your shower door you will get a good seal that will stay in place for a long time.

Perfect. I'll try the tape. Unfortunately it does appear that the sweep is part of the entire door frame. But fingers crossed for the tape.

Appreciate it.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Sure thing, just let us know how it goes or if you run into any problems. We'll do our best to help.

SWISCO Shower Drip Rail with Sweep
SWISCO Shower Drip Rail with Sweep
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.