Awning Side Locks -- missing catch on the window

A handy person from Corona Del Mar California says:

I have a vinyl awning (top hinge) window that does not lock closed hard. The operator also appears to have been damaged in some way, as when you crank it all the way in the arms block full closure by having the ends interfere with the frame. Only label is the word TRUTH on the operator arm.

I found your operator 39-083 and I will buy that to replace the one I have -- as far as I can tell it is the same size, style, etc etc . The locking mechanism on the arm to window contact is the same type as on this (and the related video.

The question is the two side locks -- and shown in photo #2085. There is NOTHING currently on the window for them to lock onto. Maybe a part fell off -- as you can see on photo #2084 -- there is a hole with nothing in it about where a mechanism should be to catch the locking arm.

I can't find anything that looks likely.... Any guesses?

Thank you for the help !

Glenn 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2084.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2085.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Your lock looks like our 38-036 but I can't be sure what keeper you would use without seeing the original. Is there another window with the same lock and an intact keeper that you could show us? Thank you!

Greetings and thank you for the very kind response. I agree that there are two 38-036 latches one on either side of this 3' wide awning window.

Unfortunately this is the only awning type window that was installed in this vintage (about 2000) -- and the keeper is gone on both sides -- just that one hole remaining on the window frame on both sides.

I was conjecturing that what ever it was that caught the keeper was screwed somehow into that hole. Hard to tell as it apparently broke off and there is something remaining in the hole. I live near the Pacific Ocean so things corroding and breaking are not unusual...

I measure the possible width (edge of the device to the window frame once installed) of the device that I am missing is at least 1/4" and not more than 1/2" -- that being the part that would catch the keeper after it was fastened into the frame.

If you have several candidates -- please advise -- I will buy all or the most likely ones and get a big ladder to attach this to the window! It is above my garage on the second story in the alley....Nice place to go after...

So far every window repair I have made has had standard parts from you all -- so I suspect this is nothing very exotic.

Thank you again...
Oops -- I have been making a mistake and until I saw the window open from below...I did not realize there are 2 holes that must have held the catch device that I am missing.

As you can see in the photo -- 2 holes. Very hard to measure the holes distance with precision until I get a big ladder... but I measure them as about 2 1/2" apart. Might be a touch less but definitely more than 2.25"

Sorry for the misstep... this is not my expertise...but it is a bit like a mystery novel !

Thank you, Glenn
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2118.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I believe the first hole you showed in the photos was the one that the installation screw would go into to secure the frame to the house. 

Take a look at the keeper 38-105. It is used on Truth hardware and has elongated screws holes at the top and bottom of the "keeper" hook. However, once you adjust the keeper where it will lock the window, I suggest you install one more screw at either end of the keeper hole so that the keeper does not "walk" once you have it placed in the correct location.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace an Awning Operator
How to Replace an Awning Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.