Awning WIndow Replacement Parts

A home owner from Honolulu says:
Aloha,
I am trying to find parts to replace these awning window cranks and arms, window frames are all aluminum. They were probably installed in 1989. What do you suggest?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3115.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3116.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This looks like a very old style casement window operator converted to use with an awning window. That's not a big deal, we still may be able to help, but I'd like a little more information before I recommend anything. Specifically, would it be possible for you to disconnect the end of the arm from the sash track? I want to see the shape and style of the bearing it uses to slide along that track. That will ensure that any suggestion we make will work the same way. Thanks!

Thank you Tom. Do I just need to loosen those 2 screws and slip it out?
Profile picture of Tom

You shouldn't have to remove the two screws. The wheel should come out of the track if you align it with that notch. The video below shows what I mean; this video obviously shows a very different operator in a very different window, but disconnecting the arm from the track follows the same principle.

Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! This is perfect, actually. That's just what I needed to see.

I think you should look at our 39-002 and 39-001 operators. These are a slightly different style compared to yours, but the bearing at the end of the arm should fit in the same track the same way. It should also fit in the same installation holes in the frame, but you may want to check our measurements just to be sure of that. You can never be too safe.

It doesn't slip out but if you zoom in on this photo you can see the wheel.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 48333DAF-8A22-41B3-A122-1185103B0A55.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E6D34B28-8BEF-4850-A18C-2075FE30B4AB.jpeg
Thank you Tom,
Which locking handle would match this photo?
Also I see aluminum but do they come in white?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D67F48C8-341B-4015-8CED-A123399A43BD.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 28D0D44D-8386-401B-A797-9D29921F18F1.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, we have a couple locks that are similar. See our 38-001, 38-005, and maybe even our 38-165. You'll need to compare your dimensions to ours, as well as the style of the locking hook itself, which is obscured in this photo.

Thank you Tom
Do the casement window operators and cranks you recommended come in white?
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, the products I suggested are not available in alternate finishes. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you Tom. No inconvenience, do you have another product in what's that might do the job?
Profile picture of Tom

I don't believe that we do, no. These are very old parts and your options will be limited any way you cut it.

Thank you Tom.
I ordered the Window Crank operator and it fits, thanks again! I also ordered 38-001 but it does not fit into the existing Casement Lock keeper (which I do not really want to change). Can you recommend another Locking Handle that would work? Here is a picture of existing and 38-001 side by side. As well as a picture of existing lock keeper.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SwiscoLockingMech_3205.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SwiscoLockKeeper_3203 2.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Sorry to hear this lock didn't work out for you. Take a look instead at the 38-165 and 38-166 locking handles. They have a wider locking gap of 3/8". See if your locking handle has the same gap size. If so, then it should be compatible with the old keeper.

Thank you! Do you have window hinges like the attached photos?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A5C1E77B-937C-4356-A19A-E74A5C64846A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5302A2BC-6429-4497-98CB-F6A2EF8D58C2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0F5380C6-D3A8-4387-AEE6-6891C4794DDA.jpeg

I'm sorry to say that we do not. These are very old style hinges that aren't popular anymore. An older, mom and pop type hardware store near you may still have something like this.

Aloha! I ordered the Casement locking handle 38-165 but it does not latch (it just lifts the awning wind up. Do you have another locking handle that would work? Attached is a photo of 38-165 and the original locking handle side-by-side. I also tried 38-001/002.
Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Swisco 38_165.jpg

Looking at the locking handles on the web site, I can see that the 38-165 is indeed the closest to the one you need. The problem is in the gap between the base and the locking hook. The 38-165 gap is 3/8" wide yours looks a little wider possibly 1/2". One suggestion would be to file the inside of the hook to increase the gap distance. Also take a look at the 38-166, maybe this matches up better. I'm not sure that it will, but it's the only other part we have. The 38-165 remains the best option.

Thank you for your suggestion. Isn't 38-166 just the reverse of 38-165? I need to replace about 50. I really did not want to change all of the lock keepers because they are a bit of a pain to access. Would that be a viable solution and if so what is the matching lock keeper for 38-166 and 38-165?
Thanks!

The 38-166 and 38-165 are opposite matching sides, yes. The keeper would be the 38-111, but make sure this matches up to your original to be 100% sure. I think it will.

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.