Awning Window Operator

A home owner from USA says:
I've been searching for a replacement window operator like the one shown in the attached photos. No luck. There are no names or numbers on the operator or window frame.

I can probably mount an operator that doesn't have the lower dogleg and can transfer the old connecting link to a new operator if necessary, but was hoping that you could recommend a direct replacement.

Thanks,
George C
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, George. I believe you have an old style Air Control operator which isn't available anymore. That said, take a look at our 39-017 which is similar in design. The only issue is you will need to drill the bottom hole on the operator to match the hole in the window.

What I've done in some cases was to drill the holes in the operator to be a little larger so I could fudge the installation screws. It's not perfect, but it works. It's really up to you how you want to approach it.

The link arm is also a little different in terms of length, but there is a some travel in the operator gears that should make up the difference. I don't think it will matter that much.

I also recommend looking over the other parts related to the 39-017. I made a list for you to review.

Lastly, if you aren't happy with the 39-017, then you could consider our 39-280. This has the same mounting holes as yours, but the link arm is too different and no amount of travel will make up for it. You would need you to drill out the link arm on the 39-280 and your old operator, them swap them. You would also need to locate the correct rivet at a local hardware store that will get the old link arm to install on the new operator.

At the end of the day, I personally think the 39-017 would be easier to deal with.
A quick learner from Atlanta says:
Dave,

Thanks for investigating and making a recommendation.

I'll look at the two operators and order one. If all goes well I'll be back for more as I have several windows needing repair.

George
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
How to Replace an Awning Window Operator [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.