Balance Channel

A quick learner from Florida says:
I need some assistance please. I am trying to fix a window. These are the original balances. My father went to a window shop and was given 30 x10. Even after I replaced the broken balances the window is still very heavy and will not stay up. I do not know if I should get new balances and try again? Any advice?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CA44F0D7-658A-4477-9D60-13710AEFBF66.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 42FF21A6-365B-4D3F-AF51-3BFFD325AB1D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 439D24F9-5E37-4AFF-B04A-44898DA76488.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3B141AAA-6A19-4322-A039-C22F8E16719A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5E11DCD9-B673-4285-8D98-757B3558C233.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. Let's see if I can help. Are these the original balances? If so, it looks like you have what we call either Series 380 or Series 385 Channel Balances. The only difference between these two balance Series is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, or the 'heel-to-toe' measurement, so compare both with your old hardware to determine which you need. The image below depicts the difference. 

You then have to choose a stamp option. The stamp option is what designates the weight range the balance is calibrated to support. A stamp code of 29-9 is from an older rating system not in use. I wonder if the replacement balances you purchased were for a weight rating too weak for your windows; hence why they're still too difficult to open. I advise you obtain the exact weight of your window sash. You can then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges we list alongside each stamp option on any given balance's shop page. 

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.