Balance Replacement Help

A quick learner says:
Looking for replacement channel balances, having difficulty finding the right attachments on the website.

Looking for (14) 18" balances with 1710 stamp
(4) 12" balances with 1110 stamp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230313_105528.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230313_105617.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm sorry to say that I don't recognize these balance fittings off hand. Their design is a little peculiar.

Before we go any further, would you happen to know the make and model of your window? Hopefully that will allow me to track these down, or at least verify that one of our more standard configurations can replace it.

A quick learner says:
maybe i'm confused, i thought we had already determined that the balance(s) i needed were the s-380-12 option 1110 and s-380-18 option 1710, and we were trying to determine the correct top sash guides? pictures of top sash guides (or at least pieces of guides :) ) i don't know the make and model of my windows how can one tell? is it imprinted somewhere on the frame or sashes?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_134011.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_134023.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_134036.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Now it's my turn to be confused. I haven't determined anything yet, this is the first time I've spoken to you. If you've discussed this with someone else from our company, then I don't know the particulars of what you might have decided. Please understand that I only know the information you post on this page.

I did a little digging into my records since my last response earlier this afternoon and I think this might be a very old Crossly brand assembly. Is that name all familiar? Check the inside frame for any stickers or stamps that might say that.

If I'm right then there is very little data on this part. It's just really, really old. The good news is that our modern hardware should hopefully replace it. The Series 380 is a possibility (not a guarantee) but you have to be concerned about the depth of the bottom fitting. The Series 380 strictly comes with a shoe that is only 1" deep. Is yours the same size? If not, how does it differ? 

As for the top sash guide, it looks similar to our 18-166 but this is mostly an educated guess. You will need to carefully review our dimensions to verify that they all match. If they differ in any way, let me know how and I can see if we have a closer option.

Detail of 18-166
Detail of 18-166

Profile view of 18-166
Profile view of 18-166

A quick learner says:
i spoke with my HOA prez. and they did not know the manufacturer nor how to find out. a visual inspection of the frames showed no manufacturer but if it helps any i saw stickers on multiple frames that said Associated Dallas Laboratories. i beleieve that was who tested them for quality/standards.

i beleive the top sash guides might be your part number 10-052. attaching pictures of top sash guide and pictures of top and bottom balance fittings.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_152156.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163720.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163734.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163754.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163803.jpg
A quick learner says:
the rest of the photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163824.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163833.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163842.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163851.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230314_163919.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Seeing it from this angle, 18-052 is definitely a possibility. I'm afraid that's not something we can determine from just a photo, though. Your next step is to carefully review the dimensions we show for the 18-052 to verify that they are identical.

The same goes for the bottom fitting: you need to make sure it has a 1" depth, otherwise the Series 380 won't work. To clarify, this is the "heel to toe" measurement, assuming that the balance is standing straight up as if it were installed. Think of it like measuring for a new pair of shoes (which isn't far off from the truth).

If it is 1", then according to my records the Series 380 should work fine for the Crossly balance. I want to stress that this isn't necessarily guaranteed, but details are very slim on this particular configuration and I'm working off a lot of old notes left by my predecessors. I personally think it'll be okay but for peace of mind you can see our return policy here.

If your shoe is anything but 1", let me know and we can pursue other options. I'm sure we can figure something out.

Profile view of a winged balance attachment
Profile view of a winged balance attachment

Alternate view of 18-052
Alternate view of 18-052

Alternate view of 18-052
Alternate view of 18-052

A quick learner says:
Yes, the top guide I have is the 18-052 (only one hole not the two like in the 18-166). My shoe measures exactly 1".
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Then my top recommendation remains the Series 380. I just wanted to reiterate and stress that this is not a guarantee: the design of your balance is still very different from ours and I cannot be certain that it will work. However, I also think it's our best match and at least a good place to start.

All orders may be placed directly on our site at your convenience. 

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.