Balance Rod & Pivot Lock Balance Shoe needed

A landlord from San Jose, CA says:

Need help with replacement parts for black aluminum tilt latch window. My balance rod is 28inches long, but the color tip is missing/difficult to see. I also need replacement pivot lock balance shoes.

Hope you can advise? Window is very heavy. Both balance rods are broken and pivot lock shoes need replacing.

Window is old and do not know mfg. Another window in this rental unit of mine was made by Viking so possibly its a Viking.

thank you,

Holly

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2064.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2065.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1834.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2048.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Holly. Looks like you have a tilt window spiral balance, which makes things pretty easy. There are only two types of tilt window spiral balance: our Series 900, which has a 3/8" diameter outer tube, and our Series 600, which has a 5/8" tube instead.

You'll need to measure the diameter of your tube to confirm the best choice, but since your window is very heavy it's probably going to be the Series 600. You should measure anyway just to be sure. You never know how things will be in this industry. I learned a long time ago to always double check.

As for the color tip option, your best bet is to weigh your sash on a scale and then refer to the chart we show on every spiral balance store page. You would simply match your sash weight up to whichever option covers it.

Is there a risk to using the wrong color tip? The window is so heavy I'm likely going to order the color for the heaviest.

Also I've measured and the rod is 3/8. What balance shoe do I need?

Thank you,
Holly
Profile picture of Tom

There is a risk, yes. If the spring is too strong then your window will be hard to close and could even drift up on its own. If it's too weak, the window will obviously be hard to open and would drift close. Think of it like Goldilock's porridge. You want it to be just right.

I would especially get the sash weight if you have the S900-28. This is a very skinny balance and is not often used to support heavy sashes. You need to be extra sure that the S900-28 has an option that can carry your sash weight. The heaviest option for this balance is the Yellow Tip, which carries 24 through 34 pounds. We don't know if your sash is heavier than that, and if it is then these balances simply won't work.

As for the shoe, there could be a few different options. The S900-28 is compatible with dozens. We'd need to see a photo of your old shoe out of your window to confirm. We'd also need to know how thick it is.

Its def 3/8 rod that I took out of the window..but it was never working that great...is it possible the balance that should have been used was the 5/8th?
Profile picture of Tom

It is entirely possible, but I can't make that judgement from here. You'd have to contact the original installers to understand their thought process when they chose this hardware. The S900-28 very well may be the perfect match for your window. The Yellow Tip can hold up to 34 pounds at maximum, but the only way to know if that's right is to weigh your sash. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.