Balance for Bathroom Window

A quick learner from Elizabethtown Kentucky says:
Small bathroom window has one of these on each side. Not sure what replaces or how it is to be done. Can follow directions if you have any.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4515.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4499.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4498.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! this part is called a coil balance. We sell a ton of different varieties, and I'm confident that we have something that can work for you, but before I recommend anything I'll need to see a clear picture of the pivot shoe. Would that be possible? Can you also tell me the width of the coil band?

It should be noted now that most of our coil balance parts are sold as individual components, not complete assemblies. For example, the spring, shoe, and cover are usually all sold separately. The benefit of this is that you only need to replace what's broken. Your next step is to look over your parts and determine what's actually broken and what can be reused.

Coil Band is 1/2 inch. Sorry about window sticker but they all look like this and it appears 97 is when it is made and you may see some more information if you can blow up.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4570.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4569.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4568.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4567.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4563.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you! This is precisely the information I needed.

Based on the design of your shoe and the size of your coil, I recommend our 15-111 and Series 160, respectively. Your next step is to look at the band of the spring itself, near the end, to see if there is a weight indicator. That will tell you which Series 160 option to order.

As for the cover itself, see our 15-150S.

Okay I am not able to find weight on springs. Maybe you have a best guess. I could start purchasing the smallest and work my way up if necessary. On this last loaded photo there is two things that to my best guess one shows 97 year made, two 1/2 inch which I assume is coil width and my guess just before that could be a 3.5 but that is only my best guess.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4581.PNG
Profile picture of Tom

If there is no stamp on the spring, then you need to weigh your sash. Don't buy every spring until you get the right one, that would just be a waste of money. It will be faster and easier to remove the sash from the window, weigh it, and then divide that weight by how many springs support it. In your case, that number is 2.

So, for example, if your sash weight was 11 pounds, then you would divide that by 2 and get 5.5. That would be our S160-5, which carries 5.5 pounds per spring.

Doing it that way ensures that you don't have to guess and you can be confident that the hardware you're buying is correct.

Sash weighs 7.63 lbs. Half is 3.81. Do you have a recommendation like you show above of part number and cost?
Profile picture of Tom

Our S160-3 should be perfectly sufficient, then. These carry 3.5 pounds each each, so having one on each side of the window gives you 7 pounds of support. I don't think you'll miss that half pound's worth of difference.

All pricing information can be found on each product's respective store page. You can place an order on our site at your convenience.

Please let me know if you had any other questions and I'd be happy to assist you.

One other question. When ordering is there a left and right version?
Profile picture of Tom

No, these coil balances are non-handed, meaning they can work on either the left or right hand side interchangeably.

Great help on the last window. Can we try again on larger window. It has 3 springs. Weighs 18 pounds equals 9 lb spring on both sides. Also has broken latch on top. It still holds in but if not to much problem will replace. These windows I was told had gas in them . Unsure gas is still there but would replace latch if possible.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4612.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I'd be happy to help with this window. Aside from size, can you verify that the hardware used is the same? The sticker in this photo unfortunately doesn't tell me anything.

Assuming that it's all the same kind of hardware, then using one S160-9 on either side will be perfectly sufficient for an 18 pound sash. 

As for the latch, I'm afraid I don't know what it could be. I need clear photos of it in order to make a recommendation.

It appears to have 3 springs. I like to have never put window back in. The bottom part is just like the bottom connector looks to be along the same line as the small window. I took both screws out of the top attachment but I was unable to get it to move. I am unsure if it was because the extended springs where still attached. If there is no need for me to cut I can only assume that they are replaced the same way as smaller window and can be removed from the access hole on window at bottom. If so then the broken spring may be binding existing mount at top of whindow of picture 4 from the left. 18 lbs is a little exhausting for 66 year old but you are saving me a ton of money.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4621.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4622.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4623.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4612.JPG
To be sure to answer your question. It is the same type window but larger. Hardware seems to be same but bigger. I would maybe like to replace left hand lock but I was told there is gas in these windows and I can still operate left opener but if not to much trouble would still like to replace. I searched You tube myself not your links and they showed taking a block of wood and knocking out the whole side to replace. Not sure I want to try that. Again this is not a link you have sent.
This 18 lb window is same make and model as the window you helped me with previously. I watched the video for triple spring model and removal is on the same principal as single spring. I already have the same gaps for removal of triple spring as I had with single spring. I did watch your video on cutting a whole but do not think it applies to my situation.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for these photos, they're a huge help.

That tilt latch looks like a match for our 26-243. We also sell the 26-244 for the opposite side, if you needed it. Review the dimensions we show on their store page to verify. We do have a replacement video for these, which you can see below. You will need tools to remove these, there's no way to avoid that. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself then you should seek the aid of a local professional to do it for you.

Concerning the coil spring, it doesn't matter so much how many springs you have per side as long as they hold up the right weight. In your case you probably have three springs per side that hold up 3 pounds each. That adds up to 18 pounds of support (3x6).
The problem is, our 1/2" Series 160 doesn't come with a 3 pound option. The lightest we have is 3.5. If you use three of these on each side that would give you 21 pounds of support (3.5x6). That might be a little too strong and as a result your sash could be harder to close.
Meanwhile, using one 9 pound spring on each side gives you the same exact support range of 18 pounds (9x2). It's also easier to install, since you only need to put in one spring.
Hopefully that all makes sense. Let me know if you had any questions.
I placed the order going from 3 springs to one. The only question I have is the 3 spring original position is at top of window. When I install new single spring will it be in same position or like smaller window I replaced in the center position?
Profile picture of Tom

That's a good question. There's a very good chance that you will need to install these in the middle of the track, not the top. These coils, along with all modern coils made today, only have a travel of around 40". This is much shorter than how older coils were made, which usually had a travel of upwards to 60".

I am sorry for the inconvenience. They just don't make them that long anymore. I should have mentioned that earlier but I didn't realize yours were that old. You will need to drill new holes for these to install if your originals weren't that long. Just make sure that you install them so that they're under the tilt latches when the window is fully closed. Otherwise, the tilt latch will bump into the spring when you go to open and close the window, which is no good.

So are you saying the single spring travel is only 40 inches. I assume mine is the 60 inch. This window is in front of the house and is probably at least twice the size as the bathroom which I replaced no problem and over the sink kitchen window. One am I going to loose 20 inches no matter what? As you recommended I got the single spring replacement of 9 pounds. I am wondering if I get the triple coil replacement of 3 3.5 lb springs is the travel 60 inch? I do not mind putting in center of window not sure.
Profile picture of Tom

Multiplying the coils won't increase the travel range, unfortunately. The coils are all anchored at the same spot and extend at the same range. 

As you suspect, your window won't be able to open quite as much as a side effect. This can be an issue if you use these windows for air conditioners. There's just no way around it that I know of, short of finding the older, longer springs that they used to make. I'm not sure that any company still sells those, though.

Bottom of stop is 52 inches. So if your springs are set up for 40 inches and the bottom of my stop is 52 inches I would be 12 inches to short to close window? We have central air. I am a little confused about the bumping you mentioned.
Profile picture of Tom

I don't really know what you're referring to when you mention a stop. There won't be any problem closing the window since you're installing the coil assembly lower in the track. Instead of being installed at the top, they're being installed in the middle. Therefore that 40" should be more than enough. I can't think of any stop that would be relevant in this scenario. 

The only thing you have to worry about is that the coil assembly has to go under the effective range of the tilt latch. That's what I mean by "bumping;" if the coil assembly is above the tilt latch, then the latch will literally bump into the coil spring when you open the window, preventing it from opening at all. 

To reiterate the project at hand: the new coil springs are shorter than the originals. Therefore you have to install them lower in the track to make up the difference. As long as you make sure that they're under the tilt latches, this will work fine.

This is what I call a stop. It covers the spring window would go no further.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. That stop shouldn't influence the function of the balance in any way. It in no way interacts with the mechanism or prohibits its function. I don't know why it would be relevant to the length of the coil springs.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.