Balance for trimline window

A home owner from Rhode Island says:
I have a large Trimline double-hung window with a broken spring balance. Some of the parts are potmetal castings that have broken. There is a big spring and a double-sheave pulley. Can you supply a replacement and installation advice? I'm a fairly handy homeowner. Thanks!
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, I think we should be able to help with this. If you can send us a photo of the balance removed from the window, we should be able to direct you to the correct replacement. Thanks!

A home owner from Rhode Island says:
Thank you, Kathleen! I'm attaching 3 pictures:
1) Closeup of the balance in the sash. It has the letters "36F" "RS1" and "KL".
2) Picture of sash and broken balance part in track.
3) Parts of balance - some broken - removed from window.
It is a very large Trimline window, approx. 40" x 80".
Please let me know if you need any more info.

David
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2590.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2587.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

From your photo, it looks like you'll need our S770-36 balance with a custom spring weight of 36F. To remove the balance channel, there should be a screw at the top of the channel that you unscrew to remove the balance. See our media guide for more information on the Series 770. Also looks like you have a broken pivot bar. Take a look and compare the dimensions of our 26-310 pivot bar to yours. Thank you.

A quick learner from Providence, RI says:

Very helpful, Kathleen, Thanks! But I have a few more questions:

How would I order a pair of balances with custom 36F springs? It's not a choice on the web order.

The screw that holds my balance to the channel seems to be missing. Can you supply another?

The 26-310 Pivot Bar looks about right, but the foot is 1 3/16" vs. 1 1/16" on your part. I can't verify the 3/4" C to C distance between the holes because the top part of mine is missing.

My Pivot Shoe looks OK, but there is no wide spot in the track for removing it if I did want to replace it. How would I do that?

Thanks,

David

Profile picture of Casey

We can custom make this balance for you. If you think the Series 770 looks good, I'll email you a special order link and price quote for 2 of them right now.

As for the screw, I'm not sure what to recommend. The size of the screw really depends more on the window than the balance. If you have any of those screws remaining, I'd take one to a local hardware store to have them match up the size.

For the pivot bar, I'm afraid we don't have anything closer to your original, which is no longer made. I cannot guarantee the 26-310 can work, but I don't believe there is anything else on the market that could.

If you don't have a cutout in your window to remove the pivot shoe, you'll need to make one. See the video below for assistance.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.