Balances for vinyl windows

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Looks like you have our 15-175 Pivot Shoe. Just compare the width and thickness listed on the product page with your old shoe to ensure that they match. This Pivot Shoe is compatible with our Series 152 Coil Springs. Look for any stamped numbers on the coil springs to see what spring weights you need. Let us know if you have any questions.

A quick learner from Haverford PA says:
Hello. We have several vinyl replacement windows that won't stay up.
Someone told me about your company and that you can identify parts to replace hardware. Please advise as to what we need, we do not have
the name of thd window manufacturers.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1409D9E2-8F36-4888-9058-2575D2BFB728.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8C5E5EDD-63DA-4959-9F5A-C7A4D6AC9A9D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 87C36DFF-8F1F-4CA9-8BEB-B2B45271C5B6.jpeg
Thank you. The part in the photo on my window looks very different than what I see attached in your response 15-75 pivot shoe. Do I need an additional part too? What about the part in the opposite side Of the window? Please let me know.
Thanks!
Profile picture of Bob

Ah yes, I should clarify. The 15-175 Pivot Shoe works with our Series 152 Coil Springs. The housing in your photos that your current coil springs sit in is older than what we offer, but if it's undamaged you can just re-use your old housing. If you need to replace your housing as well, you'd need our 15-143 Coil Bushing, 15-144 Coil Bushing Cap, and 15-145 Coil Support Barrel. This housing assembly looks a bit different than what you have, but functionally is the same. Each coil spring is housed within its own assembly, and then attach to your pivot shoe.

To know what coil springs to select, you're going to need to remove each assembly from the window and look for stamped numbers on the coil springs themselves. See the video below for removal and replacement details.

Thank you for your response. After talking to my husband about this he thinks it's not the pivot shoe, but this other part that causes the window to not stay up. Or do we need to fix both parts? Please advise. Attached is photo of thd additional part.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 185B9E3A-0010-4F17-BDCE-32645F3D6360.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 90879C1F-FEA2-4023-881F-5B091F66DE3A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FEF08AF6-E3DB-4335-9896-89B9422E92F6.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Well, the part you're showing me in these new photos is the pivot shoe. It looks an awful lot like our 15-175, which is compatible with our Series 152 Coil Balances.

Perhaps it would be best if I explain the function of both parts. The Pivot Shoe is what connects to the pivot bars at the bottom of the window sash. Its cam mechanism essentially enables the tilting of the window sash. The Pivot Shoe also connects to the Coil Balances that rest above it in the jamb track. The Coil Balances are spring mechanisms that allow you to close and open the window at will. Together, the Pivot Shoe and coil springs can be thought of as as an entire Coil Balance system. If the Pivot Shoe is damaged along with your Coil Balances, it is certainly in your best interest to replace both to ensure window function is restored. 

You ought to remove your entire Coil Balance system to A) confirm whether or not your Pivot Shoe is broken. B) If the pivot shoe needs to be replaced, to check to see if it has the same dimensions, particularly the width and thickness, as the 15-175. B) to look for stamped numbers on your coil springs to see what spring weights you need. If there is no stamped numbers on the springs, weigh your window sash and we can work it out for you.

To remove your coil balance system, see the video below. To be honest, it's more helpful than the video I shared above. 

Ok, I've checked all the broken windows and It looks like it's the pivot shoe on each window.
How do I slide that out if there isn't a cut out?
Do I need to order the tool?
Profile picture of Bob

If there's no cutout, you actually can create your own rather than ordering the jamb spreader tool. See the video below. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.