Balances since 1966

A quick learner from Florida says:
I bought my house in 1968. It has spiral balances in one window, dating to 1966. The windows measure 52" W x 26" H

The bottom sash moves up and down on plastic spiral 23" long, 3/8" wide.

About 1/4" from the end, at the top, is a rivet to hold the balance to the jamb.

It looks exactly like your series 300, but I can't see the red tip. The shoe and everything else looks like your 300, but my shoe is aluminum.

I can't figure out how to remove the spiral piece that is connected to the aluminum shoe. The shoe will slide from the very bottom of the window to the top, in a track that has a capture. BUt I don't see any way to take it out.

The balances have not worked for the past several years. It's time to replace them.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure exactly what it is you have. Could you show us some pictures showing the balance and the shoe? That will give us a better idea of what you have and what can be done to replace it.
A quick learner from Florida says:
Here are pictures. the sash weight is 15-1/2#
User submitted photo of their balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the pictures. You do have a very old window. Those fittings aren't made anymore. I think I can recommend a substitution, though. Consider using our S300-23 spiral balance with a Red Tip and 15-020 shoe. I would also recommend our 17-014 and 17-015 sash clips. What do you think?
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.