Ballast for weathervain fir windows

A quick learner from Manson,WA says:

All of my windows ballasts are broken or dont work. I am not sure how they go in or work but mos of them had been removed by the previous owner. Seems like the plastic part in the window is broken or missing as well. the hole in the plastic side of the frame looks to be worn and elongated,, looks like the hook of the ballast is suppose to fit in? Can these beautiful wood windows be put back to normal with replacement ballast?

Thanks

Larry

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us, Larry. It looks like you might need a custom made 29" long channel balance with a 15-193 bottom fitting and a 19-038 top fitting attached. The stamp will be 2830. Does this look good to you? If so, let me know how many you need and I will email you an order link and price quote for the recommend quantity.

As for the broken plastic track, we're not going to be able to help you. You will either have to go back to the window dealer or a mill work to see if they can give you a new track.

Thanks for the response. I will need 2 of those , but my question is I have 3 other windows that are 62" high and 39" wide the balance is missing( the size that opens is 38"). What size of balance would I need for that? The top stops on the window are missing as well any part that would work? Thanks for your help!

Larry
Profile picture of Paul

Are these other windows identical, other than size? If so, it would be safe to assume that they also use balances with the same 19-038 and 15-193 fittings. I will just need to know the exact weight of the sash, down to the ounce, and the height of the visible glass. That will allow is to determine spring strength and length, respectively.

As for those top sash guides, I do recognize them, but I'm afraid we don't have those, either. We always see this now and then over the years, but every time we check we never have any luck. These just aren't made anymore and no other company has picked up production. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

Hi there, I am back at my lake house and I would like a quote for the window balances. I need 4 of the 29" channel 2830 with the 19-038 and 15-193 fittings and the other windows are identical and the height of glass is 35" and the weight is 27.89 lbs. I would need 6 of these. Thanking you in advance!

Larry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5092.JPG
Profile picture of Paul

Hello again! We can definitely set this up for you. I'll have my colleague Tom email you an order link and price quote right now for four of the 29" and 6 of the other size, which will be 36". 

The rule of thumb, you see, is that the length of the metal channel is 1" more than the height of the visible glass. You'll note that the stamps for these balances start with a digit 1" less than the length; for example, your 29" balance has a 2830 stamp. Now you know why; the visible glass height would be 28". Just a little balance trivia that I'm sure will thrill your friends.

Finally, you mentioned before a top nylon guide. I don't believe yours is available anymore. We recommend using the 18-065 as a substitute. See what you think!

How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.