Bathroom Window

A home owner from Atco, NJ says:

Trying to find replacement balance hardware for my 24 year old bathroom window. Both coils are broken. I did not see much in the way of part numbers on the pieces. I could not get the bottom portion of the window out of the slides. I will try again. Note that the spring coil is .5" wide. If you need more info or better pictures, please let me know.

Thank you,

Lon 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211127_103500_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211127_103508_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211212_192852_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211212_192917_resized.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211212_192926_resized.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Lon.

We'd be happy to help but we'll need to see an undamaged pivot shoe removed from the window to compare to our inventory. If we can identify the pivot shoe, that will tell us the coils and accessories that you'll need.

Thank you!

I would love to show it to you but cannot figure out how to get the window out. Not sure if I need to remove the retaining screw for the pivot pin but I cannot twist the window out. The pivot shoe does not have a cutout above the pin hole that allows the pin to come out. So far I've not been able to figure it out.
Profile picture of Emily

We actually have some videos on the replacement process that you may find helpful. I've attached them below. Take a look and let me know if this helps. 

I figured it out and managed to get the window out. Based on what I now see, I am thinking I just need a set of your S190 coil balances. The coil I have is .5" wide and the hole appears to be in the same place on the end. New pictures attached. Agree?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211217_002940.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211217_003253.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

I agree! It looks like you have an older version of our 15-180 pivot shoe, which indeed uses the Series 190 coil balances. To determine the coil weight you'll need, look for a number or code on your springs. If there aren't any numbers or if they're too faded to make out, obtain the exact sash weight and I can calculate what you need from there. 

I cannot find any numbers on the coil. The sash is 8 lbs.
Wait! I cleaned the coil of a bit more and can now see the stamp. It is a 540. I'll need two. I'll place the order on your website.

THANK YOU so much for your help, patience and the education.
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.