Bathroom window spring replacement

A quick learner from Towaco, NJ says:
Both coils are broken. I pulled one but it doesn't show the weight rating. I would like to replace the entire assembly on both sides (the windows were installed 25 years ago). The dimensions of the window are 21 1/2 inches wide and 18 3/4 tall. If you need another viewpoint please advise and I can take additional pictures.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named installed.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named disassemble 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named disassemble 1.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. Your pivot shoe appears to be the 15-180 coil balance shoe. Look over the dimensions for the shoe below and compare them to your existing shoe. See if these are the right fit for your window.

Alternate image for 15-180
Alternate image for 15-180

These are typically used along with the Series 190 coil springs. To confirm the exact spring needed for your window, you'll need to confirm the stamp on the metal coil spring. If there is no stamp, you'll need to take the exact weight of the window and divide it by the total number of coils. 

Your support clip appears to be our coil balance clip, part 15-186. You may also need the bushing coil as well, which is part 15-182.

My window weighs 9 pounds and uses two coils so that leaves a fraction. Do I round down or up when ordering the coil?

You can either choose to use the S190-440 or the S180-540. So long as the spring strength is within 1lb +/- of the window weight, the windows should continue to function properly.

You'll just need to be sure to use two of the same coil. Mismatched coils can cause one side of the coil assembly to wear out faster than the other due to the uneven spring strength.

Parts arrived and installation took 10 minutes - thanks

I'm happy to hear that your parts arrived to you and that the installation was fairly quick.

Feel free to reach out to us for any future hardware repair projects.

Have a great day!

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.