Better Bilt Vinyl Tilt Out Window, Single Hung, Spiral Balance

A home owner from California says:

Hi,

I need to replace the spiral balances on our Better Bilt windows. To gain access to the balances, there are 2 plastic stops at the top of the windows, which are easily removable. There are also semi- rigid plastic covers in the side channels covering the Spiral Balances. They are roughly about half the height of the side channel, so the balances are not visible when the tilt window is in the frame. I am not sure if these need to be removed to access the balances. If they need to be removed, I am hoping to do so without damaging them. Any suggestions? If they need to be removed and are damaged in the process, can they be replaced?

or (hopefully) can these covers simply slide down in the channels without being removed once the single hung window is removed?

Pictures are attached, both with the tilt window in place and closed. First one is with the cover in place in the normal position and the window stop in place. The second is with channel cover slid down approx 8"

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in, Rick. I'm fairly sure these covers sort of just snap or pinch in, and so they might be removed that way too. Once you remove the covers, we'll need the length and diameter of the balance's outer tube, not including the tip. A picture of the tip will also be helpful. See the videos below for details.

How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.