Block and Tackle Balance & Cam Identification

A quick learner from Maryland says:
Greetings,

Purchased a 10yr old Ryan Homes and two of the window balances (one broken on each window) have broken cams in which the entire balance remains at the top of the window frame. I do not have holes to place the removal clips (sp?) so therefore, unsure on how to remove sashs to get balances disconnected.

A couple of questions. Do I need to replace both balances (a total of 4) on each window as opposed to just replacing the broken ones on each window (a total of 2)?

Additionally, I have a hole at the top of the window channel that the balance hook, hooks into to secure the nylon rope. Do you currently sell that type of balance? If not, would it be possible just to replace the cams, which ultimately is what appears to have dry-rotted causing both balances on each separate window to retract to the top.

Thoughts? Thanks again for reading this!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5115.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5119.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5120.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5121.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5122.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We should definitely be able to help you with this project. We can supply both the balances and the shoe by itself, though I'm less confident about the shoe. To confirm, can you show me an undamaged version? Can you also tell me how wide it is, in total? It should be either 1" or 1-1/4". Thank you!

Tom

Please see attached photos, would a replacement show work or should we go for all new? Also I took out the pivot pieces that go into shoe for reference. May neeed new of those too. Please send me complete parts list or and all-in-one kit options too.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D291BAB1-B762-4544-9657-4E486D656664.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C4A5F0D8-D4EC-4D9E-A509-931DC1323A37.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DF4395ED-ADE5-4927-9CCE-8E50084899B8.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1995956B-42BF-45FB-86F2-73191CE4EF05.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C142EEB0-5106-449D-BCE9-D87C6499E222.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid your only option is to go all new. It seems your old pivot shoe has a deep groove in the stem, to presumably match a similar groove in the metal channel. Our pivot shoe lacks this groove and so will not fit in your balance. The only solution we have is to supply a new balance.

Since this has a 1" wide shoe and a hook on top, this will need to be a custom order. The configuration is not stock. I'll email you an order link and price quote now for four 28" balances designed with the hardware you show here. 

The pivot bar isn't made anymore, either, but you can use our 26-021 as a substitute. This is sold separately. 

Greetings, as active duty military are you able to offer any sort of a discount (free shipping etc), also can you compromise a new quote including the updated pivot bars? Hope you can work with me ". Thanks so much!
Additionally, based upon the hardware options links listed below, can't I assemble this configuration on my own. Swisco sells everything needed to recreate this assembly. I see another user asked how to attach a new hook to the top of a balance, swisco returned the hook product link without guidance. Thoughts?
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, we do not offer discounts of any kind. I apologize for the inconvenience.

You can assemble these pieces yourself, if you'd prefer. Most customers would rather we do it for them for the sake of convenience so that's usually our default offer, but if you'd rather purchase the parts separately and try it yourself then that's totally fine. 

Swapping the shoes out is very easy and we actually have a video showing you  how it's done, which I'll share below. Changing the top clip for a hook is the most difficult part only in that it has the most risk: the cord is under a lot of tension and if it gets away from you, it'll snap back and could damage the balance or even hurt you. The metal clip could shatter from the force. You want to make absolutely sure that you're wearing safety goggles and gloves.

What you want to do is pull the cord out and secure it firmly in a table vice. Once you're certain it's in place and won't snap back, you simply untie the clip and tie on the hook. When you're done, hold onto the cord and release the vice. Don't just release the vice or else the cord will snap back, you have to be holding it. Then, gently let the cord retract into place.

Here's the video I mentioned:

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.