Block and tackle rods

A quick learner says:

Help Identifying What Part I Need!

I have several vinyl window balances that are broken and need replacing. The problem is that I do not know who made these windows, only that they were manufactured sometime in 2006. The old balances look like the rod and tackle type. I have viewed your video on how to replace these with Swisco balances, but I need to be sure before I order.

I have made a few photos of the old balance and window as it may help to find what type if balance I need. Any suggestions you may have would be helpful.

Jerry 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named processed-e409c41d-9b3c-4743-947a-1cee886d36c5_r6J
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named processed-0e00d98a-b7e2-4aa3-a59a-c314d0f65527_JpU
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named processed-3638add0-9ee3-4bc4-a6fc-aedfcb13b649_bf5
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named processed-bb5a4195-f575-45a9-b2ec-18882b6fb333_FCv
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Jerry.

Thank you for reaching out to us! This is an old rod-style balance that isn't made anymore but the good news is that we can still help. One of our modern balances may replace this but I'd like to confirm a few details first. 

• Can you write out the diameter of the spring?
  • Can you also write out the length of your balance? I've attached a photo below that you can use as a reference for how to measure.
  • Can you show us a photo of an undamaged pivot bar removed from the sash?
  • How many balances are you looking to order?
  • Finally, we will also need you to weigh your sash on a scale and tell us its precise weight. 
measure
A quick learner from Calhoun, Georgia says:
- Spring diameter is 3/8"
- Balance length is 31.5"
- Sash weight is 19lbs.
- Window side channel width is 1/2"

I am in immediate need of 6 balances for three windows whose balances have completely failed.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230301_170541.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230301_170553.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230301_170607.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to me! We can help supply a replacement for this old balance but it will need to be a custom order since your spring is 3/8" in diameter. To sum it up for you, we'll be using a "skinny" metal channel with the 15-230 shoe and 31B stamp. A pair of balances with such a stamp will carry a sash weighing 18 to 23 pounds. 

You'll also need a new and compatible pivot bar since you're converting to this modern balance. I recommend using our 26-448 but keep in mind that drilling new holes will be necessary. This isn't included in that order link I'm sending you so don't forget to add your desired quantity to your cart! 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.