Broken Coil balance from CertainTeed vinyl window

A quick learner from Waukegan, IL says:
Hi!

I?d like to repair broken coils on several of my 20 year old CertainTeed windows. Can you help me select the right part(s)? These are 16lb windows and the mechanism attaches at the very top of the frame (not towards the middle, as shown on your video), with 2 coils on each side. The coils are ½ ?, stamped #5.5 64? PAT5232208. This shoe looks grubby, but seems to be intact, so can I get by with just replacing the broken coils? If shoes in other windows are broken, is there a replacement for that? Do you know why the mechanism is attached so far away from the sash? Thanks for your help!

Mary
Just to clarify, since some of the characters didn't copy over properly, the coil is 1/2 inch wide, and marked as 64 inches. Also after looking at some of your other discussion posts, it appears I will have to reposition the brackets to use a shorter coil, since the longer ones aren't available any more. But can you please confirm that, and provide part numbers? Thanks!
Mary
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Yes, longer springs like yours aren't made anymore. Positioning the balance lower in the frame ought to fix things, just make sure you position it in such a way as to not interfere with the tilt latch on the sash.

As for the hardware itself, see our 15-111 pivot shoe and S160-5 spring, which just so happens to be 1/2" thick with 5.5 pounds of support. Honestly, your pivot shoe and covers look to be in good condition, so assuming the springs are all that have broken you could just replace them.

Mission accomplished! I ordered the springs you recommended, and also new covers, because the old ones seemed kind of brittle and did often break when I was taking out the old springs. The order came very quickly, and following your advice and on-site videos I have successfully fixed several windows. Thank you!

Mary
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.