Broken Balance

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. Could you show us a clearer picture of the clip at the end of the nylon cord? I believe this may be a Series 770 Channel Balance, but it would best to see this clip to confirm. Could you also measure out the length of the metal channel? Finally, if there is no stamp code on the channel, you will need to provide the exact weight of your window sash. Many thanks.

A home owner from Bluffton SC says:
There are no markings or numbers on this item.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1291.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1292.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1293.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1294.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1295.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, as I thought, this looks like a S770-35 Channel Balance. Just go over the specifications listed on the product page to be sure. Your stamp code indicates you'll need to select a stamp option of 35C. Let us know if you have any questions. 

Coiled spring 19" Metal Insert 35" Metal Rod #35C
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1298.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1299.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1301.JPG
Good Afternoon,
I received my new balance. The tension on the S770-35C can that be lessened? Also, the terminal pin when placed into pivot shoe can that be moved upward to make it easier to attach? I just ordered the tool (Product Code: 75-005) so, hopefully it will make things easier. Thank you.
Profile picture of Bob

No, the tension in a channel balance cannot be adjusted in any way. The 75-005 is a charging tool for spiral balances, which have a different configuration than channel balances. We recommend the 75-005 for installing the S770 only because it is helpful for attaching the clip to the pivot shoe; but otherwise it has no similar function. Trying to adjust the channel balance's tension in any way is not only impossible; it's very dangerous and frankly a good way to lose an eye! These are solid steel springs under dozens of pounds of pressure; they are not meant to be modified. 

The stamp '35C' on your old balance indicates the spring strength it was calibrated for; this is why we recommended the S770-35 with a stamp option of 35C. Did you ever find your windows difficult to open or keep open with those balances before they broke? If so, it's possible they were too strong for your window to begin with, and you would need to weigh your window sash to know the proper stamp option. 

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.