Broken Sash Lock on Certainteed Casement Window

A quick learner says:
Hello. We just found a replacement lock on your web site. However, the window is locked and I need to open it to replace the lock. The handle has come off the lock. Do you any tips on how to unlock the window with the broken sash lock so I can replace the lock? Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This isn't an easy problem to fix. Your best bet is to try to force the handle back in place and do your best to flip the lock that way. Failing that, the only possible solution is to cut the lock off, which is not easy. I highly recommend contacting a local professional to come out and do this for you.

A quick learner says:
Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion, but the lock rod is not visible through the handle hole. It must be stuck up in the top of the lock. I am considering using a cutoff wheel to cut an opening in the lock. This should allow me to reach the lock rod and pull it down to unlock the window.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

When you say the handle is broken, do you mean the lever part of the lock is broken off? If so, what I try to do is to push the lever back into the lock body and try to unlock the window. If not, cutting the lock off is your only option. Like Tom said, you definitely want professional help for that.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.