Broken String and spring

A home owner from Northern California, USA says:

Window not operating due to broken string inside unit. Not sure what window balance to order. See attached photos.

Rocky

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4658.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4657.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Rocky. I'm afraid I can't determine what you have from these photos. Would it be possible to see a clear and close-up photo of both the top and bottom nylon fitting? Can you also measure the depth of the bottom fitting and write out what you get for me? Thank you!

A home owner from Northern California, USA says:

Tom: Attached are 4 photos of the top and bottom fitting of the window balancer.

I believe the measurement for the depth of the bottom fitting is 1 inch.

I believe the fourth photo shows the bottom fitting. The bottom plastic fitting curves over the edge of the balancer and around the top. Total length is 1 inch.

The metal channel piece is 26 1/2inches. This does not include the plastic fittings.

There is a number stamped on the side of the metal channel. 2630.

Rocky

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bottom Window Balancer Side View.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bottom Window Balancer Bottom view.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top Window Balancer fitting Side View.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top Window Balancer  top view.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! This information is a huge help. 26-1/2" is not a standard length but it is something we can make for you as a custom order. 

As for the nylon fittings, yours appear to be a match for our 19-002 and 15-005. Please review our specs for these and let me know if you agree. In the meantime, I'll look into the availability and cost of the 26-1/2" length and get back to you once I know that.

I also had one last question for you: can you tell me how many you needed? We have to preset the quantity for custom orders ahead of time, so I'll need that now before we get the ball rolling. Thank you!

Alternate view of 19-002
Alternate view of 19-002

Alternate view of 15-005
Alternate view of 15-005

A home owner says:

Tom:

Thank you for the prompt response.

First, I re-measured the total metal channel length and it is 27 inches. NOT 26 1/2.

Second, the Top and Bottom nylon fitting photos you sent me are exactly the ones and measurements

of the what I have. So I think we have a winner here.

Lastly, please send 2 units. Only one was broken, but I think it best to have the set.

This is my second time replacing these guides in the last 2 years. I believe you might find my previous order if you want to confirm the measurements etc.

Also, since I live in a rural area, we do not get USPS mail at our house. So the units will have to be shipped UPS or Fed Ex to be delivered to our house. I understand if there is an additional cost.

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for confirming! So, this balance will still have to be a custom order because of the nylon fittings; 19-002 and 15-005 is not a stock configuration. However this is very routine and what's really happening is we're assembling this for you in our shop before we ship it out. 

What I'll do now is email you a purchase link and price quote that will allow you to add 2 of these to your cart. You can then checkout from there as normal. We do offer FedEx as a delivery option, which you will see during the checkout process.

You mentioned having to replace these multiple times before, which is a little concerning. Looking at your order history I only see one purchase made. This was back in 2020 and was for another custom balance, but this one was 9" long, which isn't the same size. Could you be referring to something else? You definitely shouldn't have to replace these after only 2 years. Balances should last you well over a decade.

For now I will email you that purchase link in case you wanted to just move forward with this order. However if you have any doubts as to whether this will work, I'd be happy to try to figure out what the problem is, exactly.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.