Broken balances in 6 windows

A quick learner from United States says:

Hello, 

I did not know that replacing my window balancers was an option. I just found your site and am really excited that this might be a possibility. I bought my house 6 years ago and there are 6 Alcoa windows that are just junk because the balancers are all shot?.some missing, some broken and all of the windows are useless. 

So your replacement balancers look great except on the windows in my house up top where the balancer screws into the frame, the vinyl/plastic is all torn/destroyed. I know if I use a longer screw I can just go into the wood of the framing but is that going to mess things up with the balancer? 

It would not be cheap to do this project but if I am going to do it, I will do it for all 6 windows-they are all the same and all have the same issue. I can get measurements and stuff later but don't want to pursue this project if I am not going to be able to use your products.

Thanks, 
Steve

Alcoa window balances

A handy person from United States says:

I just pulled the pivot out of one of the windows and the width is a bit odd-it's under 1" and most of the ones on your site are over 1". It looks like it's 15/16's. It's definitely not 1" even....just under. The height is for sure 2". I know the balance is the series 600 and so it's just the pivots I am not sure about right now...

Pivot shoe

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us, Steve! Replacing just the balances is totally possible, and a lot less expensive than replacing the entire window. I'm confident we can get you the hardware you need.

First, the kind of damage I see on your outer balance tubes is common when they're made of plastic. All of our balances have metal tubes, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you will use a longer screw, though. Our balances would be the same diameter as your old ones. Why would you need a longer screw?

As for what balances you need, it would depend on the diameter of that outer nylon tube. If it's 3/8", I recommend our Series 900 spiral balance. If it's 5/8", I recommend our Series 600 instead.

Regarding the shoe, the closest match I could find is our 15-173, which is 1" wide by 9/16" thick. Is it possible the total width of yours just wore down over time from friction? Could you get our 15-173 to work regardless? I don't think your exact style is made anymore. Let me know what you think.

A handy person from North Haven, CT says:
Hi Tom,

What I mean about the screw is from the top row of pictures the one on the far right. See up top where the balancer screws into the jamb....well that plastic is all cracked and destroyed so there is nothing to screw into-that was my concern. I guess when it snapped it took the plastic with it!

So about the shoe, I double checked my measurements and the width is for sure 15/16 and I'd be worried that if I went up another 1/16 that is wouldn't fit right. I see you guys do have a couple of shoes that are 15/16 but then the thickness doesn't match-the thickness on mine is for sure 9/16" so I guess I'd leave it up to you on your guys recommendation of which measurement is the most important in terms of a good fit. I am trying to avoid having to pay shipping twice and I am guessing you won't just send me a sample as a test or anything before I do the job....just trying to do the windows once without any problem.....thanks!

Steve
Profile picture of Tom

Ahhh, I see what you mean now. I suggest packing out the area to make the balance tube lay flat against the rest of the track. It may take some creativity but as long as the balance is stable you should be okay. Longer screws in that case would probably be necessary.

I'm confident the 15-173 will work for you. It's only a hair off from your own width. If it is too thick you could always shave it a bit, it should still be fine.

A quick learner from North Haven, CT says:
Ok that's great. So the width of the balancer is 5/16....so that's just a hare over 3/8 so I'll get the serial 900 balancer. The exact length if 24.5" so should I get the 24" or 25" one...I assume there's a good pick there.....once I get the answer I'll stop bothering you guys and place my order!

Thanks!!!
Profile picture of Tom

You aren't a bother at all, I'm just happy we can help! With a length of 24.5", we usually recommend rounding up to 25". There was a time when spiral balance manufacturers made all their balances end on a 1/2" in terms of length, but that design has been phased out. We find that going up to the next inch is a safe bet.

A quick learner from North Haven, CT says:
ok, one last question, I promise.....the 3/8 balancer I need is compatible with the shoes you guys suggested, right-the series 900 will work fine with the 15-173 shoes, right?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I just wanted to add to this discussion that you might have our Series 600 instead. In my experience, Alcoa has used our Series 600 spiral balance, not the Series 900. I would triple check the diameter of the outer tube just to be 100% sure.

Otherwise, the 15-173 pivot shoe would work. it's designed for the Series 600 but it will still work for the Series 900 if that ends up being what you have.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.