Broken channel balance

A home owner from Coos Bay, OR says:
The label is found in the upper left corner of the window channel. The other numbers are found on the balance itself, as you can see. As I remember, the window became very difficult to open, and then the left balance dropped, making it impossible to completely close it. Pushing the balance back up seemed to make no difference. I hope this rings a bell with you, because this is unknown territory to me. Thanks!
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi there- thanks for posting! 

You've got a channel balance in your window and to determine the best replacement option for you you'll need to remove it and send us a few more photos. I can partially see the bottom shoe from your second photo, but we'll need to see clear angles of both of the end attachments. The stamp printed on the balance that you provided a picture of is helpful, but it unfortunately doesn't determine the series of the balance you have. The end attachments are what determines the series. 

Send over those photos and we can definitely get you what you're looking for! Also, while you have the balance removed, confirm that the length of the metal channel is 27" please. Thanks! 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Here's the basic procedure:

How do I remove the balance?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Can you show me a photo of this stop? I don't want to advise you to unscrew anything from your jamb without knowing exactly what it is.

I don't see any take-out clips, as shown in the video. I do see, in about that location, what looks like a plastic stop, attached in the channel with a screw. Should I take those out?
Here they are, one on each side.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you! If you remove the metal bracket, I think you'll find that the take out clip might be behind it. If not, remove the screw from the metal stop and install it back in the window track. Leave just enough height to hook the balance top, but not the window sash guide. Do the same on the other side. Now raise the sash pass the screws, push the sash to one side and swing out. That should allow you to replace the side load balances. 

The balance Summit Window often uses is our Series 385

Please bear with me, because even after having taken this apart, I don't understand how it works. So I removed the two stops that kept the lower window from going all the way to the top. That way I was able to take it out. Now, the two balances are different in that the left one is still hanging by a white wire and a hook into the left channel, but the right one was not. Do you know what I need? I was finally able to put the lower pane all the way down, which before I could not. I thought the problem was with the left balance, which hung all the way down to the sash, but apparently it is with the right one.
Profile picture of Paul

All channel balances hook onto the window using that cord. It's possible that your other balance had become disconnected over the years for whatever reason. It's possible you don't even have to replace your balances! Try to install the right one by putting the hook in the slot, just like we show in our video. Once it's installed properly, open and close the sash a few times to try it out and let us know how it operates.

What I should have explained was that one was hanging by the wire but the wire of the other is one jammed, or something. It does have that hook at the end but I can't pull it out like the other one is. Please check the pictures, to see if this makes sense to you. Thanks for your time.
Profile picture of Paul

Ahhh, okay. I think I'm starting to understand. "Jammed" sounds about right. It's possible the pulley system is simply broken and stopped functioning. That's just a guess; the fact is, there could be a million different reasons why that cord isn't coming out.

I think it's probably a good idea to just nip it in the bud and replace it. Like I mentioned before, most Summit Windows I've dealt with used our Series 385 channel balance. With that in mind, I recommend our S385-27 with a 2640 option.

We usually recommend replacing both balances at the same time, but it's up to you. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.