Broken handle on sliding glass door

A home owner from Houston, TX 77090 says:
Need replacement part- Brass Handle

SGD-R25
SERIES:9390
(YR:1995?)

The inside latch/lever broke off. Measurements between screws is just under 4"??
Any direction or help is appreciated since door can't be locked!!;)
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We do have a replacement for the broken thumb lever, but it's only available in white. See our 82-107. I'm afraid we aren't able to supply it in any other finishes. Would you still be interested in using this? I'm confident it will act as a replacement, it just won't match the handle.

If you wanted things to match, then I would recommend something like our 82-035 or 82-079

A quick learner from Houston, TX 77090 says:
Well, I THINK the key lock cylinder (a long think metal stick type thing broke. So can we replace just the lever part? Or would we need to get a new lever part AND key lock cylinder to have the long metal be piece that goes all the way through??
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see. If the key lock tail broke in such a way that it's too short to work, then you would need a new one. I recommend our 82-310. I feel confident that this will work in your existing handle set.

A quick learner from Houston, TX 77090 says:
So do I need to purchase a new key lock cylinder and s new lever? Does that sound right?
Profile picture of Tom

Yep, if those are the only broken parts, then you should be good to go. Then again... 

You have me thinking now. The more I sit here and look at your photos, the more I find it curious that both of those parts broke. It could just be coincidence. On the other hand, there may be something more at play. I wonder if the mortise lock is still in working condition.

This is easy enough to figure out. You can remove the handle set from the door and then try to throw the mortise lock manually with a flat head screwdriver. If the locking hook flips out as normal, then there's no need to worry. Coincidences indeed happen. If you feel resistance, however, then you may have found the real culprit.

Your mortise lock is probably something like our 82-218, which is very common. There are other options too. Try it out and get back to me. I could have you chasing smoke here, but it won't hurt to check.

How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.