Broken part for my window

A home owner from Maryland, US says:
Hello!
My name is Thuyvan Le. I'm looking for the replacement part for my broken window. Here's what I need:
1/ Tilt latch
2/ Pivot lock shoe
I couldn't find the brand or model of my window anywhere, so I measured my broken parts and giving as much information as I can in the above picture, hopefully they can help you to identify the parts that I need. Please let me know if you can find them.Thank you very much!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7C1356D7-705C-4EEB-997D-1723724BD7F1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1544E90A-1565-4148-BF04-1A9E72D2C332.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We believe you have a similar style pivot shoe to our 15-191, which usually works with the Series 160 coil spring. Your spring looks different, though. Instead of installing in the shoe with tabs, it hooks in that little prong there. I think you could still use our 15-191 and Series 160 but you would have to replace both parts. You will also need the number printed on the old spring to determine the best Series 160 option.

As for your tilt latches, I would recommend starting by comparing the specifications shown on the 26-243 and 26-244 product pages to an undamaged latch. Thank you!

Hi Casey!

As your suggestion, I'd like to replace both the pivot and the spring. I checked the imprint on my old spring, all I saw was number 8. Could you help me pick the right spring? Thank you!
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, the S160 does not come with an 8-pound strength option but if you could confirm the exact weight of your window sash, that will help us confirm if the S160-7 or S160-9 would be your best replacement option. 

Could you tell me how to find out the weight of my window sash since I'm not sure I know what the window sash is ? Thanks
Profile picture of Casey

The window sash is the part of the window that you raise and lower, which is supported by your balance assemblies. You would have had to remove it to access the hardware shown in your photos. You'll just need to put the sash on a bathroom scale while it's uninstalled to get the weight. 

Could you please send me a picture of the window sash, so I know exactly which one you talking about?I think my window is the vinyl single hung window. Thank you!
Please take a look at the picture below to see if it is the window sash as you said? If it is, It weight 20lbs.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EFBA52A0-B883-47DC-8A21-03CB61AADB41.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey

That is the sash, yes. It's just the glass panel that you raise and lower to open and close the window. This is what the balance springs support, so knowing its weight will allow us to calculate their strength calibration.

Just in case you have missed it, it weighs 20lbs. Please help me to find the proper spring for my windows. Thank you!
Profile picture of Casey

I did miss that, sorry! If your sash is 20 pounds then the S160-10 is going to be what you want. These carry 10 pounds each, so having one on each side adds up to 20 pounds of support exactly.

I'm sorry but I have one more question. Is it OK that I can use S160-10 as your suggestion if my window sash weighs 19 lbs? Or the size of spring has to match exactly with the weight of the sash? In the previous message, I told you that my window sash weighs 20 lbs when I weighed it with the scale on the carpet floor, then the next day I weighed it on the hard floor the hand of the scale was between 18 and 19 lbs! I don't know if something is wrong with my scale or what?
Profile picture of Casey

I totally understand. I have a sale at home that has the same issue. It happens. 

As for what spring to use in this situation, I guess it would depend. A difference of 2 pounds isn't necessarily the end of the world, but you may notice it during the operation of the window. Figure that if the springs are stronger than the sash weight that it may be a little harder to close.

You could go with the S160-9, which holds 9 pounds per spring. That gives you 18 pounds of support, but then you might have the opposite problem: the window may be a little harder to open, instead.

But like I said, 2 pounds isn't really the end of the world. It's up to you which way you want to go. I think the two weights mentioned are your best option. Just make sure that both sides of the window use identical configurations.

How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.