Broken patio door handle

A home owner from Ohio, Toledo says:
I have a very heavy patio door with a broken handle and the SWISCO purchased for me through a local door company lasted one year and recently split the metal and broke. I need something heavy duty that will fit 3-15/16th in black or a dark color and it looks like 82-033 may be my best bet?
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that your handle broke. We'd be happy to help you find the best replacement butI would need to see a photo of your original handle set to determine the best replacement option. Also, keep in mind that a damaged or dirty track can cause extra drag and cause the handle to creak. Thank you!

I hope this image helps.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0682.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

That's perfect. Thank you. Your handle looks like our 82-003 handle set. If it broke after just a year of use, I suspect that either worn rollers or debris obstructing the track may be the cause. Our company has an article covering this situation, which you can view here for more information. 

If the 82-003 was a correct fit and worked well up to this point, It is unlikely that you need a heavier duty handle and that an unrelated issue caused the handle to break prematurely. Check your rollers and track and let us know how you make out or if you have any other questions. 

I would like to know if there is a heavier duty handle that will fit my dimensions. I really feel what I have is too light for this door which was installed when the housee was built in the late 70's. Thanks, Joe

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Door manufacturers don't really make heavy duty handles like you're looking for. Patio glass doors are meant to open at a touch; very little force should be necessary.

Like Casey said, If you find the opposite is true then your rollers are probably gunked up with dirt and debris or they are just broken and need to be replaced. Even if you got the heaviest duty handle around, it would still break eventually if this issue isn't addressed.

How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.