Broken plastic piece on channel balance and broken plastic piece on sash

A handy person from Seattle, WA says:

I just spoke to you on the phone regarding a Milkgard window with a broken plastic piece on the channel balance and a broken plastic piece on sash. Photos are attached.

Length of the metal part of the channel balance is 33". It is 1/2 width. No marking codes on balance. Weight of window: @35.5#. Sash is 35" high, @39.75" wide. More photos available if needed

Milgard non-tilt, vinyl window @ 15-20 years old. Do you suggest replacing both channel balances and both plastic pieces in the sash? Could you let me know availability and cost?

Thanks for your help, Joseph

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8AD90039-930E-43E6-A532-6F75AEB02B47.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BD20220B-F3B4-459A-A918-DC3BB78FED07.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 41DB920C-20C0-4B67-8337-1480700FD5E3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 505ABF5A-E589-4EF8-8284-E32070BEE0F5.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C5C1DF0C-EC7A-4EC5-B997-94CA532C081A.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your photos. Based on what I see here, you have either our S380-33 or S385-33, depending on the depth of the bottom shoe. That's the only difference between them. I recommend measuring your shoe and referring to our dimensions to confirm the best match.

For the top sash guide, I actually don't think yours is made anymore. I think you might have to use our 18-009 but only after you trip the top edges off. Look over the dimensions we show for this product to confirm and let me know what you think of my proposed solution.

Hi Tom. Thanks for the info. Looks like S385-33 is the one.

For the top sash guide, do you still make 18-188. That looks the closest to what I have and with no top edges. If that isn't made any more, I guess the 18-009 and I will take the top edges off.

I would want 2 of the S385-33 and 2 of the 18-188.

Are these items in stock?

Thanks, Joseph
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_9582.JPG
I forgot to ask your advice re weight. The sash weighs 35.5#. Right between the 2 spring loads. Is it better to go with the higher weight spring or lower weight? How will the opening and closing work with each (I assume easier to open and harder to close with the stronger spring--in your experience do people prefer easier open or easier close?

Thanks for your advice.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We do make the 18-188, but my concern is that the dimensions don't match up. If they do, then that would definitely be your best choice. But looking at your old photo I think you have a specific part that isn't made anymore. I could be wrong, of course, I'm kind of just going with my gut on this one, but definitely review the dimensions we show for each product to be 100% sure. If they differ in any way, let me know and I can find something better for you.

If your sash weight is 35.5 pounds then I'd go with the 3265 option. If your sash were exactly 35 pounds on the dot then you could theoretically use both options, but since it's a little over we're safe to go with the 3265. You definitely don't want to use a stronger spring than what your sash weight is, though, otherwise your window will be difficult to close and could even drift up on its own volition.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.