Broken shoe and coil balance

A home owner from Natick, MA says:
I just moved into a condo and discovered after the fact that one of my windows is broken. Like a guillotine on the top and bottom. There is no branding on the window and finding anyone to repair it has been impossible. My condo association does not have documentation of when they were installed or by whom. Any help you could offer would be much appreciated
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 413CDA31-54AD-4DC1-ABE6-2053099CD80C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 302D6D26-8ECC-47DC-9705-E872EFA61156.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B0C3A80D-BE58-43AB-8B54-CC2D6DA0C8AE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named ACD7D1EE-E05A-48DA-B30A-E424772C1318.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there! You'll need to remove your coil balance and pivot shoe to confirm but check out our 15-175 pivot shoe which works with the Series 152 coil springs. Review its dimensions and compare them to your current hardware to see if this could be a match for what you need.

Hi. I was finally able to remove the pieces. Please see attached photos. The measurements for the pivot shoe seem accurate but I also need the coils and advice on which ones and how to attach them all. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B9361FB6-1525-4951-97B3-2A6A975E7D36.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8AD855B5-5845-43E0-9ADA-6821DD7A8EFD.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9F9DD603-46A2-4668-9085-FEA572B86E0B.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F072534E-E1AC-42AD-9EBC-9F0FF50E7F84.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

It looks like you have our 15-175 pivot shoe which is used with our Series 152 coil balance spring. Do you see a stamped number on your coil balance? They're often found imprinted on the tongue of the metal spring, cartridge or coil casing. 

If there's no stamps on the coil springs, the best thing to do is to weigh your window sash. Divide that precise weight in half, and that will tell you the total amount of spring weight you need on each side of the sash.

The springs just screw on. The bottom spring should be easy, but the top one you have to screw on and then stretch up. They're under tension and have a tendency to flop all over so it can be tricky. You'll just need three hands and a lot of patience. I hope that helps.

If you have any further questions just let us know. 

Hi Emily,

Thankfully I have a friend helping me with this project so I'm confident we'll be able to figure it out once I have all the pieces I need. I'll check the coil for a number stamped on it when I get home later. Does the Series 152 coil come with the plastic cover piece/casing that is in the pictures I sent?
Profile picture of Emily

It doesn't come with the plastic cover and your current covers aren't made anymore, so you'll need the 15-143 coil bushing, 15-144 coil bushing cap and 15-145 coil support barrel. You just have to 'sandwich' them together into a cartridge.  

I checked my coil balances last night and each side has two coil balances, one 8 and one 7 for a total of 15 pounds each side (for the lower sash). Presumably the upper sash is the same.

Would you be able to confirm my quantities below? I just want to make sure I have everything I need in one order.

Coil Balance Shoe, 15-175 QTY 4
Coil Bushing 15-143 QTY 8 (two for each side)
Coil Bushing cap 15-144 QTY 8
Coil Support Barrell 15-145 QTY 8

I also need new til latches and I *think* they are the 26-266 item, but will have to remember to measure that this evening.

Thank you so much. You have been incredibly helpful and it has been so appreciated. I'm a first time home owner and was really striking out prior to finding Swisco!

Courtney
Profile picture of Emily

Hi, Courtney!

Yes, your quantities seem good. Let us know if you'd like us to confirm if the 26-266 is for you.

Thank you for your kind words. It was truly my pleasure to be able to help. If you have any future hardware questions just let us know. We'll be here to help! 

I can't really open my broken window right now to get more accurate info on the tilt latches but I attached a few pictures. The one with the red line drawn on is the broken one and the other is from another window and in working condition.

I hope that's helpful in determining if the 26-266 is what I need! (I'll need left and right for the broken window)

-Courtney
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5BCBD378-A945-488E-AE11-B305A58CA142.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F48D3044-B96E-4399-8B95-0167E0B982E9.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

We'll just need to see your latch removed from your window, that will help us narrow down our options. 

Thank you! 

I just took one out of my good windows. Does this give you what you need? They are very delicate, i cracked this one too.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window latch bottom.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window latch top.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for the additional pictures, Courtney! 

Take a look at our 26-243 and 26-244 tilt window latches. Look over our dimensions and compare them to your current latch to see if they match up. 

Thank you!!! Those look very very close and I'm willing to take the chance. Especially since those aren't the be all end all to fixing this window. I just placed the order. Thank you again for all your help with this. I thought for sure I was looking at a total replacement given the age of the window. But hopefully with $50 in parts from you all, I'll get some more life out of this window!
Profile picture of Emily

You're welcome! I'm so happy we could help you find what you needed. If you have any questions going forward just let us know, we'll be here to help!

My parts finally arrived yesterday and after all that I forgot to order the coil balances!! I feel so silly. I just placed another order and paid for expedited shipping.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.