What is a pivot shoe bumper? Do I need it?

A home owner from Sugar Land, TX says:
I have sash windows that use S160 Series coils. Will be replacing several in my house. I also see a product listed as Bumper, Product Code: 15-148, that I am not sure what is for and whether I will need it. Could you tell me its purpose, where it's located, and whether I should replace it as well while I'll have the windows' sashes taken out.
Thank you,

Andre
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Andre. Good question. The 15-148 Bumper sits between the pivot shoe, such as the 15-111 or 15-191, and the coil support holding the Series 160 Coil Spring(s), such as our 15-150S. Every Coil Balance system has unique idiosyncrasies in design; in this case, the 15-148 just acts as a literal 'bumper' between the pivot shoe and coil spring & housing, enabling support and so that the coil springs don't slide too hard into the pivot shoes during window operation. 

Thank you, Bob. The bumper on the photo has 2 legs on top. I assume they are there to attach it to something. Could you, please, clarify whether the bumper legs are inserted into the top of the shoe which has 2 holes, or (somehow?) into the bottom of the spring housing.
Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The 15-148 bumper installs on the bottom of a cover like the 15-150S. See the image below from an older discussion for an example of what I mean. If you never had the 15-148 to begin with then I wouldn't worry about it.

Example of how a pivot shoe bumper works.
Thank you! A picture is worth a thousand words :)
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

My pleasure! Let me know if you have any more questions and we'll do our best to help.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.