Bypass closet door hanger

A home owner from Illinois says:

I am looking for a replacement (8 hangers total) for a broken bypass closet door hanger. Only one broken but will replace all four doors since the hangers are all about the same age. The hangers are mounted on the back of the doors. The image below has measurements and shape. Stamped 3/4" FRONT and 3/8" BACK. Manufacturer mark is a large W and next to that 674. The doors are hollow core, wood, 1-1/4 inch thick. Any suggestions?

Judy 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Closet door hanger device.png
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Judy!  Thank you so much for the thorough information, it's a huge help.

I have seen this roller a few times in the past. It's not made anymore, unfortunately, but after looking through my records I see that we have recommended our 23-010 as a replacement each time it came up. This roller has a 1/2" offset and a 3/4" diameter wheel, which you can see in the diagram below.

Now, the bad news that we've never received confirmation that this part works from anyone who tried it. It looks like they simply never got back to us, which is just how it goes sometimes. With that in mind I cannot guarantee that it will work for you, but it does seem to be our best option. I'm sorry that we can't give you a more confident recommendation.

Dimensions for 23-010
Dimensions for 23-010

Thank you. I will give it a try. Your specs seem closest to what I need. I will try to give you feedback if the suggested hangers work.

Not surprised my model is no longer made. This building was built in 1960 and I have been told the closet doors are original to the building.

Judy

Profile picture of Tom

Thank you, Judy! We really appreciate it. We're happy to help as best as we can if you run into any issues, too.

The recommended part 23-010 is a good replacement for the bypass door hangers. Lessons I learned in replacing the hangers: 1. Wear good work shoes -- the doors are heavy! 2. Clean the tracks before rehanging the doors. I found lots of grime and snags that likely contributed to the demise of the old hangers. 3. Do not use the old holes for screws unless you use a longer wood screw.

Otherwise, my doors are up now and working great.
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you so much for the confirmation that our part works, and for the helpful tips! I am very happy to hear it all worked out. Please let me know if you ever needed anything in the future, I'm always here to help.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.