COIL BALANCE

A quick learner from Cheltenham PA says:
Hi I have a Camelot/ Crusader double hung window circa 2009 model VSDH that wont stay up I suspect the coil balance has broken I can see the coil What coil balance and shoe replacement part do you recommend? Thank you in advance.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi there. Balance parts are often generic even among brands, so the best way to know what you need is to see your coil balance system out of the window. The pivot shoe is especially important to see, as the identity of the pivot shoe confirms the identity of the coil balances. If you could show us the pivot shoe, and provide the width and thickness as well, that would be really helpful. See the video below for removal and replacement details. 

Hi thank you sorry for the delay here is a picture of what needs to be replaced. I also will need a set of jamb spreaders as there is no cut out slot to get this part out. Do you have anything similar to this part?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0516191919 (3).jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Not a problem! The balance set you're showing looks like our S140-7. Look it over and let me know if you agree. If you need jamb spreaders, see our 75-069.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Totally understandable. if you wanted an alternate method of removing pivot shoes, check out the video at the end of this post. You may find it helpful.

And of course we must thank you for ordering with us. It means a lot. Please let me know if we can ever be of more help!

Hi I agree the S140-7 looks like what I need. I am going to order now. I will pass on the Jamb spreaders, did not realize how much they cost. Thank you so much for the quick response back.
A home owner from Lake Orion says:
I have the same window coil balance system in one of my bedroom's window. I dont want to buy the jamb spreader given its cost. I am thinking of creating a cut out.

My question is where should I do the cutout. I have only one sliding window, the bottom one. The top one is fixed and immovable. I think it will make sense to make the cutout at the bottom as the shoe wont go below the bottom half the whole window. However want to confirm it before I go ahead with the cutout.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If the only movable window you have is the bottom sash, then you want to make the cutout at the top of the track. That way the pivot shoe won't slip out of the cutout during normal operation.

The shoe for the bottom sash operates around the bottom half of the jamb track, so you definitely don't want to make the cutout anywhere in that zone.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.