"Cam "shoe replacement

A home owner from Frederick, MD says:
I have a broken "cam" shoe?.for one of my Simonton sash windows purchased around 2005/2006

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

This part is called a pivot shoe. Yours is unfortunately discontinued and no longer made.

My recommendation to you at this stage is to use our 15-192. This is a pivot shoe made by Certainteed, not Simonton, but it has a very similar design and in my experience works very well as an alternative. There's just a few things you have to do to make up for the differences.

detail of 15-192
detail of 15-192

Firstly, the 15-192 has protrusions on the face that may make it a little too big to fit comfortably in your window channel. Shaving them down or cutting them off will be necessary.

Secondly, the metal cam is a different style and will not be compatible with your old pivot bar. You will need to reuse your old metal cam instead. They should pop in and out easily enough.

Please let me know if you had any questions and I'd be happy to assist you.

A quick learner from Virginia says:
What do you recommend I do if I lost the old cam?
Thank you
Profile picture of Tom

If you cannot reuse the cam, then the project gets a little more complex. You would need to replace the entire balance assembly with a different model, one that we find works perfectly well as an alternative. 

The video below will go into more detail. This will explain exactly what parts you need to buy and how you can install them in your window. Just note that you will need the exact weight of your sash on hand in order to calculate the proper spring strength. You want to divide that weight by how many springs support the sash, then pick accordingly.

A home owner from Frederick, MD says:
Thank you, Tom? I will save this message for consideration and then check w/my handyman .
Profile picture of Tom

Sounds good! We're here to answer any other questions you may have.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.