Can you please help ID Balance and Shoe?

A home owner from USA says:
I couldn't get the images uploaded on your site. This is a Milestone Single Hung window - 27". Also, if the window doesn't stay in the up position, what part(s) do I need to repair?

Thanks,

Patti
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180523_182816.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180523_182850.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180601_101053.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. It sounds like your channel balances have failed and need to be replaced. They are the spring-loaded metal channels in your photos, and normally they enable you to open and close the window at will. Take a look at our Series 770 Channel Balances; I believe these are what you need. In your other photos you show a few parts, but most importantly the pivot shoe that the balance connects to. Can you tell us the width and thickness of that shoe? Those dimensions would help confirm what replacement you need. Many thanks. 

Thank you for your response. If I understand the part that you are asking measurements for the width is 1" and the thickness is 1/2".

Patti

Profile picture of Bob

Hi Patti, thanks for getting back to me. If you're certain that your pivot shoe is 1" wide, then the 15-167 and 15-179 might be plausible replacements. Just go over that width dimension again, in as much detail as you can, to see which might be closer. To be safe however, I'd also like to see a photo of the pivot bar that fits into the pivot shoe. I want to make sure it's compatible with these replacement options. Many thanks.

I hope this is what you are looking for....
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190712_121759.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190712_121849.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190712_121917.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190712_121955.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

We're getting there. I think it would still be best to see the pivot bar that fits into this pivot shoe. This is the die-cast pin that sticks out of the bottom corners of the window sash that normally connect to the pivot shoe. This will help us confirm exactly what you need. It would be best to see the pivot bars out of the window. 

Finally, I can't help but notice that your balance is upside down in the first of these photos. Is there any specific reason for this?

Ok, thank you for your help. I will send a picture when I get the window out. The balance is upside down just for purposes of showing you how it looked in the space...it is not attached to anything....plus I didn't know that was upside down :-)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190724_115436.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190724_115345.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190724_115401.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190724_115421.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks! That's perfect. I think the shoes I picked out before will be fully compatible with your pivot bar. That's really all a shoe needs to do, after all; it needs to connect to the balance, fit in the track, and connect to the pivot bar. As long as those three qualities are met then you're good to go.

So, we know that the shoes I picked out can connect to the balance. We now know that they can connect to the pivot bar, too. The only thing left is to make sure they fit in the track, which is determined by the width and thickness. Look over our dimensions and see what you think.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.