Replacing the wheel on my roller--metal or nylon?

A home owner from Florida says:

Patio sliding glass doors are from the late 70's and I can't find a replacement. Would the 1-1/2" dia Roller And Axle Kit Product Code: 81-272 work. All needed is drill the old axles out and use new screws? Would Nylon wheels be better?

Thanks!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180602_105833.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180602_105908.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20180602_105748.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your question. While we continue to provide all of the information we have about this part, we ask that you please continue to remain patient. As soon as we have an update, we will reach out to you right away. 

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I think I can help with this. If you just wanted to replace the wheels then I think that our 81-272 kit is a great option. You would drill the old axles out, as you suspected.

As for steel vs nylon, this is an argument we hear a lot. Steel wheels are stronger but since you live in Florida, corrosion may be an issue. Nylon wheels are weaker but corrosion is far less of a concern. It's really up to you. If you wanted to go with a nylon wheel, consider our 81-236 wheel and 81-310 axle set.

How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.