Caradco Awning Window Hardware Removal

A quick learner from Moorestown, NJ says:
I have a Caradco awning window that has a broken crank mechanism made by Truth. I think the proper replacement part is your number 39-083 Dual Arm Crank. My question before ordering a replacement crank centers on the proper removal of the old hardware. It seems that the mounting screws are accessed from the outer side of the window. However, I'm not sure how to remove the screws, as I don't see how you can get any kind of screwdriver in the tight space.

Do you know exactly how the sill cover is held on? I think I'll need to pick up a small pry bar to get the sill cover off; or can I get it off with just a screwdriver?

Please help!. Thank you in advance.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Normally, the sill cover is installed with small wire brad nails. You should try to use a small thin chisel or pry bar, such as our 75-081, 90 Degree Angle Prybar/Scraper. Take your time so as to avoid damaging the wood!
Dave,
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I figured this out after my post, but thank you for the explanation, as it confirms my findings. I recently picked up the required pry bar to remove the sill. Hopefully, I get to do that today, because that's when I expect my replacement crank mechanism to arrive from your warehouse.

David.
Alright, David, let me know how it goes! If you have any other questions, I'd be more than happy to help.
Dave,

Success! The crank mechanism arrived late this afternoon (Tuesday) and has been installed. Total time of about a half hour. Everything seems to be working properly.

It's too bad that the bronze color does not quite match the original hardware on the other windows, which I think is either dark bronze or clay. The difference in color is not too noticeable--a small price to pay for a functioning window.

Thanks again for your help.

David.
That's great news! I'm glad to hear that everything fit. Please let us know if we can be of any further service!
Dave,

One month later and everything is working fine. When you have the right tools and the know-how on procedures, the job is so much easier. Thanks for our help.

David.
Great news, David! I'm glad to hear everything ended up okay. Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions, I would be happy to help.
How to Replace an Awning Operator
How to Replace an Awning Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
How to Install a Kawneer Commercial Door Pivot
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.