Casement Window Hardware.

A handy person from Michigan says:

I can't find any names or numbers on this hardware. The house was built in 1927. The mechanism attaches to the metal frame with two machine screws into a tab on the metal frame.

It seems the previous owners tried to open or close the windows with too much force on the mechanism. They were painted shut. I have cleaned up the paint and hinges but the mechanisms have missing spots where they don't grab and open. I assume the gear has lost some teeth.

Thanks,

Harry

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7177.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7178.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Harry. This is a very, very old style operator. I don't think we have anything that can replace this, but I will try my best to find something.

Before I recommend anything, would it be possible to see the original mechanism out of the window? Your picture here only shows the base, but I'd like to see the entire mechanism by itself, if possible.

A handy person from Michigan says:

I have taken the best photos I can. The arm will not come back through the slot in the frame due to the little slider at the end being pined on.

The gear on the arm seems to have lost a tooth or two since it works in some positions and not in others.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7196.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7200.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7201.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7202.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7197.JPG
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I don't believe you'll be able to find an exact match for the hardware shown in your photos. These are just too old. My suggestion would be to use the 39-344 and 39-358, which are used on Fenestra steel casement windows or the generic 39-020 and 39-021 casement operators. You might also need to replace the window tracks on the window with the 39-504. Looking at your photos, the ones from Fenestra might be the closest to your operators. Adaptation of your window and sill may be necessary in either case.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
How to install a wood casement window crank
How to install a wood casement window crank
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.