Casement window

A quick learner from NC says:
Need the piece of metal that I have circled and arrow is pointing too in my photo.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 662A23B3-A234-44F3-BC07-BE9119DF0C11.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looks to me like you want a new hinge. We likely don't have this exact style, but that's okay. There's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to these. My recommendation would be the 36-048. As long as you replace the top and bottom at the same time then you should be good to go.

Thank you for your response. I have the hinge parts. it's the long piece of metal that that the hinge connects to and the black roller can slide into on the window sill is what I am pointing at.

That piece of metal from my photo is approximately 24 inches long.

Is that piece something you have
Profile picture of Tom

The long piece of metal that the hinge connects to is still part of the hinge assembly. That's not something that's sold separately. If yours has broken, you need an all new hinge.

That said, 24" is huge for a hinge track. I've never seen one in that size. I think at this point it would be best if you can show me a clearer picture of the part in question. I also don't see a black roller in your photo, so I'd like to see that as well.

The piece is not broken. It was lost when we took window off to paint it.

I am attaching additional pics of the black piece that acts as a roller and connects to the 24 inch piece of metal that goes along the entire base of the window.

If you would like to call me and I can face time or find someway I can explain what I need and if you can help

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4AB0F20F-4F9F-4A86-9797-A7E0D8D15905.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FC95C275-222D-4A92-B6CA-4B0F239A6EA7.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! This is definitely the hinge. That black piece you're showing me is the slider that all hinges use to glide along the bottom track. The problem is, yours is HUGE. I've never in my life seen a bottom hinge track that long. It looks like it runs the entire length of the window sill. I actually laughed when I opened your picture. That is really one strange piece of hardware.

I'm not sure why they designed it that way. Every hinge I've dealt with has usually been around 10" to 14" in length. In some rare cases they can get a little longer, maybe 17", but never the entire length of the sill.

At this point, the only thing we have that I can recommend is the 36-048. This obviously doesn't run the length of the sill but we don't have anything that does. If you think that is a fundamentally necessary feature, then my recommendation to you would be to contact the window manufacturer directly. This may be something special that they designed specifically for your window for whatever reason, though I cannot guess as to what that reason would be.

Sounds good. I can order your part for the top and the bottom so they match up. Now we have to figure out which hinge based on how my window opens. My window opens right with locking mechanism on the left if I am standing inside my house facing the window.

Also, will that hinge you sell work with the piece I have that attaches to my window or do I need to buy a new one for top and bottom? I am attaching photo of the attachment that it connects to on the window?

Please advise.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

The 36-048 works for both left and right side windows interchangeably. You just flip them around one way or the other.

As for the piece you mentioned, are you referring to the operator? If so, it should be fine. The hinge and operator don't physically connect in any way so they shouldn't interfere with one another.

How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.