Casement window 39-253 sill mount operator

A handy person from Anchorage, AK says:

I have several windows that no longer close by turning the handle. The dual arm operator appears to match 39-235. The problem appears to be that the teeth of the gear sprocket on the dual arm operator drop below the teeth of the gear sprocket driven by the sprocket the handle turns when I attempt to close the window because the teeth of the two gears do not mesh when attempting to close the window. The gear sprocket on the operator remains level with the other gear from the handle when opening the window so the teeth mesh and the window opens with no problem. The window crank assembly and the gear attached that drives the one on the dual arm operator are firm and fixed in place. The gear sprocket and the end of the arms attached to the gear on the dual arm operator can be pushed up and down thus disengaging the two teeth of the two gears when attempting to close the window. Should replacement of just the 39-235 dual arm operator resolve my problem?

Thank you.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It sounds like the worm gear stripped out, which means you need an all new operator. If your old one matches the 39-253, then that's what you want.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.