Casement window hardware disintegrating

A home owner from Los Angeles 90068 says:

Hi. We installed 4 casement windows in our house LA 20 years and the crank hardware is going to pieces and needs to be replaced. Your video for replacing them is as clear as can be but beyond my abilities as an unskilled homeowner. I'll need to find somebody to do the work, but hopefully you can help with the right replacement hardware. On two of the windows the channel that attaches to the swinging window itself was never installed. Lastly, do you have any referrals for somebody in Los Angeles who can do this kind of work?

Many thanks,

Stephen

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1369.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1368.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1367.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Stephen! I'm glad you hear you liked our videos. I'm afraid I have no referrals in your area, though. We're located in New Jersey, you see, so we don't have much experience with professionals near you. Sorry about that! You'll want to talk to a local mom and pop type store. Those kind of establishments tend to have ties to local pros and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

As for the operator itself, start by looking at our 39-031 and 39-032. I think these will work well but you should go over our dimensions just to be 100%.

You also mention that you need a channel, but I'm not sure what that might be. Can you show a photo of it on a window that still has it?

Thanks for contacting us, Stephen. I'm certain we can get to the bottom of this.

Thank you for the reply. The parts look right! By channel I mean the piece that runs along the bottom of the out-swinging window that the arm attaches to. It's missing from both sides of two of the four windows. Picture attached.

Many thanks,

S.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1376.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Aha, I see. Take a look at our 39-505. I think you'll find this will be a match for what you're looking for.

Hi Tom. I'm ready to order the parts. To make sure I'm ordering the right things, I'll do it in reference to the photos below.

From the first photo of the track, #1392, I need two right hand tracks and two left hand tracks. From the second photo of bracket -- don't know what else to call it -- that's attached to the window close to the jamb I need two right hand brackets and two left hand brackets. From the third photo I need two cranks. From the last photo I need four covers. To make sure we're talking about the same part, the tracks are 11 3/8" long and the little brackets are 3" long. The widest dimension of the covers is 5 1/4" Please let me know if you need any more information to ID the parts, and let me know the part numbers or whatever else I need to know to order them from your site. Thank you!

Stephen

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1395.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1394.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1393.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1392.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Hello again, Stephen! Thank you for the additional photos. This is very clear cut and logical to me. I wish more customers did this!

So looking at photo #1392, you want our 39-505 track. In photo #1393, these are indeed called brackets; yours should match our 39-516 and 39-517. Finally, for photos #1394 and #1395, you want our 39-114L handle and 39-107 cover, respectively.

That should about do it! Look these parts over and let me know what you think.

Awesome. I will get into this and order today. Once I order, about how long until I get them? I want to schedule the guy who will install.

Profile picture of Tom

Great! We should have everything mentioned in stock, so delivery time will depend on what shipping method you select during checkout. 

Thanks again for considering us and let us know how it works out!

Hi Tom. In the midst of ordering I found an intriguing possibility. Will the folding crank and cover, part #39-107FK, fit and function on the mechanisms I have in place? If so I will order 8 of them, and replace all the cranks and covers in the room, even the ones that are not broken or missing!

Thanks,

S.
Profile picture of Tim
Tim from SWISCO responded:

Yes, the 39-107FK is fully compatible with the operators we've gone over. If the 39-107 cover can work, then these will work just as well.

Ordered! Thank you for all the help figuring this out. It's been a pleasure.

All the best,

Stephen
Profile picture of Tim
Tim from SWISCO responded:

The pleasure was all ours, Stephen. Please let us know if you ever need anything else and we'll be happy to help.

Because no task is ever fully completed, my wife just wisely pointed out that one of the functioning tracks is getting a little hickup in it. How would I add another track to the order?

Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Looks like your order is already marked as "Processing," so I'm afraid that we won't be able to add to it in our system. I just put it on hold, though, so our facility will know not to finalize the shipment. I recommend cancelling this order and then placing a new one with a 39-505 track. You haven't been charged yet so it won't make any difference to the final result. 

Hopefully that works out for you!

Great, I'll do that now.
Says it can no longer be changed or canceled. It's no problem - the track is still working and if it becomes a bigger problem I'll just order the part. Shipping is only another 4.95, no big deal.
Profile picture of Tom

Huh, that's weird. That shouldn't be the case. I just got in touch with our ordering department and had them cancel it for you manually. No reason to spend more than you have to. You can place your new order now whenever you wish. Sorry about that!

Excellent. Thank you.
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.