Casement window slide

A handy person from MA says:
Looking for a casement window slide hinge, or just the black plastic piece that is broken in the picture.

And/or: can you tell from the tag the maker of the window?

Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8401.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8403.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that the tag doesn't tell me anything about the hinge in question. As for the hinge, it looks like it could be a 4-bar set, but it's difficult to tell. Would it be possible to see a picture that shows the whole assembly? The black piece is not sold separately so you would need an all new hinge.

Thank you for your quick reply. The broken hinge is the top one. I have attached a picture of the bottom hinge, two partial pictures of the top hinge, and a sketch of the hinge with dimensions (not to scale)
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8489.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8472.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8473.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8478.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! Based on these photos and your dimensions I would recommend our 36-022HD. We measure ours a little differently, but the most important measurements here all appear to match. Look it over and see what you think!

Dimensions for 36-022HD
Dimensions for 36-022HD

Thank you.
But don't the lengths and angles of the internal bars (not dimensioned in the sketch you sent) have to match the hinge at the bottom, in order that the top and bottom of the window open with the same sweep? I notice, for example, that there is only one pivot on the slider. (This may be ok, because the two bars are parallel, right)

But the shortest bar should be the same length. Do you have a sketch showing the lengths of the 3 internal bars?
Profile picture of Tom

In my experience the window pivot action is always a little different after installing a new hinge set. We don't sell a hinge that is identical to your original so a difference in operation is to be expected. That's why we always recommend replacing the top and bottom at the same time; if you mix old and new hinges, the operation won't be symmetrical and the window won't open properly.

That shouldn't affect the other hardware used in this window. For example, you should still be able to use the old operator without any issue. I've never installed a new hinge and found myself unable to use the operator except in extreme cases.

As long as you replace the top and bottom hinges at the same time, and as long as the bottom track has the same breadth of travel (in this case, 12") then I don't foresee any complications.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.