CertainTeed window spring

A home owner from Warwick, RI says:

These windows were installed about 25 years ago. One of them does not stay up. I realized there is a spring coil on either side of the track and they are both broken. How can I identify the parts I need and order them? I am not very good with handyman's work. But, I can ask a friend to help me.

The only thing I learned from the contractor who installed them 25 years ago is that the brand is CertainTeed and the springs look like a steel tape measure (I told you I was not good at these things!!)

Thank you for your help,

Cemal

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Certainteed Windows often use the 15-192 Pivot Shoe and the Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Balances. The video below goes into more details. 

A home owner from Warwick, RI says:

Bob, thank you for the information. From what I can see when I tilt the window, it looks like the smaller version. They probably used double coils for large windows because of their weight. Our windows are standard Cape Cod house windows. If I order a pair of these, are they returnable if on an outside chance they don't fit?

I am attaching a few photos I just took of the tilted window socket, the part that seems to hold the spring loop in the middle of the window height and the same part a friend removed for me. I hope these help and I can order a couple of sets.

Thanks again,

Cemal

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211011_130445.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211011_130645.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211011_130417.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello again. If your window just uses one coil on each side of the sash, then yes, you'll need the Series 170 springs, with none of the Series 171. There's more to it, however, as you need to choose 'spring weights' for the coils you purchase. The spring weights designate the weight range the balances are calibrated to support. There should be stamps on your old springs, near the tongues, that display these weights. If there are none or you are unsure, please obtain the exact weight of the window sash. Give me that exact weight and I will work it out for you.  

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.