Certainteed Double Hung Window Pivot Bar or Cam(?)

A home owner from Hayward, CA says:

Hi,

I have a double hung vinyl window - over 20 years old.

This piece broke off the window sash. It's the piece that goes into the sash track.

The top sash can be tilted inward to be cleaned.

At the moment, I cannot open or close it without this piece.

Thank you,

Kelly 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5545.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during this busy season. This looks like a type of pivot bar, but I'm not familiar with this style. Could you tell me if this is the whole piece, or if it broke off of something larger? Can you also show me the pivot shoe into which it inserts? Thank you!

The piece broke off. I also need the shoe, which I believe is the 15-192 (currently out of stock).
Here are additional photos.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5928.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5930.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5931.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5935.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! This makes way more sense now. Your pivot bar isn't made anymore, but you can use the 26-175 as a substitute. It is fully compatible with the 15-192 pivot shoe, which I agree will work.

Thanks! When will you be getting the 15-192 pivot shoes back in stock?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I don't have a solid ETA on those. Supply chains have been backed up for months due to the quarantine, and at this time they don't really show any signs of getting back to normal. I can only promise that we're trying to get our backordered parts back on the shelves as soon as physically possible.

Now how do I remove the pivot shoe and balance coils from the window so I can swap out the parts? I do not see how I can remove the parts from the opening. Do I have to cut the window frame?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail_IMG_5933.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

It looks like your track already has a cut-out. You shouldn't have to make a new one, or to make that any wider, but it does look like a very slim margin. This is probably going to be very tricky to take out. I won't lie to you: even if you do things 100% properly, it's going to be frustrating. I've done enough of these to know that they can be a huge pain, depending on the design of the window.

The video below may be of some help to you. You can see that you sort of have to wedge the old shoe out.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.