Certainteed Windows Replcement Part

Quick Learner from Maryland
May 7, 2024 8:29 pm
I identified my windows previously as Certainteed and replaced these parts on another one but the weight was wrong since although it keeps the window open when opened, it is difficult to close. Can you tell me what parts I would need from your site to repair them when the metal coils snap and the window no longer stays up?
image004 IMG_0525 IMG_0529 IMG_0532
4 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 8, 2024 1:45 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello! These old Certainteed parts aren't made anymore, but the modern equivalents will work for you just as well with a few minor alterations.

Starting with the pivot shoe, see our 15-192. This is going to be the biggest issue since Certainteed now makes these with alignment lugs on the front face. Your old shoe lacks these and the window track wasn't made to accommodate them, so if you try to install the 15-192 as-is, it won't fit. The simple solution is to just cut them off. The parts related to this are the Series 170 coil spring, 15-156 cover, and 15-157 drum.

If you needed a new pivot bar, see our 26-175. This looks very different compared to your original at first glance, but this should install in your window the same exact way and interact with the new 15-192 without issue.

Please let me know if you had any other questions. You can review these products on their respective store pages, linked in this post. 

May 9, 2024 12:35 pm
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately I have no visible stamps on my springs and the last time I tried ordering one from another site I was able to get it all replaced but the window does not open or close very easily so the weight must have been off. Can you tell anything from the window label picture I sent or do you have a guess what a commonly used weight would have been for a standard size window?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 9, 2024 2:44 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Windows don't really come in standard sizes, unfortunately. This is a case-by-case kind of thing. If you don't have a stamp on the old springs then your only other option is to weigh the sash on a scale and extrapolate from that.

The formula we use is to divide the weight of the sash by how many springs support it. Looking at your photos it appears that you have one spring per side, so you'd simply divide the sash weight in half. 

These are very precise systems, so you never want to guess at weight. You've already seen what happens when you get it wrong. If the spring strength is off by even a few pounds, it's not going to work right. You need to be as exact as possible.

If you were to tell me your sash weight, I'd be happy to make a recommendation. Just let me know.

May 9, 2024 9:15 pm
Hello, the weight was 13.4 lbs for one sash and you are correct that it has one spring per side. What do you recommend? Thanks!

RH
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 10, 2024 12:05 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

For a 13.4 sash, you could use our S170-407. These carry 7 pounds each, giving you 14 pounds of total support. That's a bit over your original but it should still be okay. That kind of difference won't be the end of the world.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts