Certainteed Coil Balance Replacement

A quick learner from Milford, CT says:

Hello,

I am looking to repair or replace both top and bottom window balances. I have included pics of the balance . The only marking that I could locate is the #7 on the lower balance.

Thanks,

Carl

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0FAA3A58-511F-4F06-8D97-287EA0B5B584.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 59C1AB7F-2592-40CC-85A7-BBDB41FE95F6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 651EB405-55E1-416C-8EA7-487DBB5CEBCA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 74ECFCFB-2525-45DA-AF64-5F8AE9547541.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. This looks like our 15-180 Pivot Shoe. Just go over the dimensions listed on the product page to make sure it matches your old shoe. This pivot shoe is compatible with our Series 190 Coil Springs. Look for stamps on the coil springs to confirm what spring weights you need. If your coil springs are missing stamp numbers, weigh your window sash. Let us know that precise weight, as well as how many coil springs are on each side of your window sash, and we'll work out the rest for you. 

Ok. Thanks. I've identified the coil number 7 on the lower pivot shoe. Do I need to replace the coil behind the detent clip? It has no stamp. Also, the coil behind the detent clip has no stamp. Only one bushing is on the double detent clip. Should there be two? I have included all the pics in my previous post.

Thanks
Carl
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Carl, 

Yes, both coils should be nestled inside the detent clip. Personally, I think it would be wise to replace both pairs of springs. The number on the pivot shoe unfortunately is not necessarily related to the spring weight. If there's no stamps on the coil springs, the best thing to do is to weigh your window sash. Divide that precise weight in half, and that will tell you the total amount of spring weight you need on each side of the sash. Let us know if you need help with this.

Bob,
Sorry for not being clear. The #7 is stamped on the pivot shoe coil. Does this number relate to the upper coil behind the detent clip? I also want to replace all of the the coils Lower and upper. I'll replace the 2 pivot shoes to be safe, as well.
Profile picture of Bob

Ah, thanks for clarifying. If the lower coil has a '7' stamped on it, then it could be replaced with our S190-740. So you know that you will need (2) of the S190-740, once for each side of your sash. I'm afraid there's no guarantee that this number also corresponds to the coil stacked on top. The only way to know what remaining spring weight you need is to weigh your window sash. There's really no way around this part--it's pretty common for coil springs to not be stamped. Divide that precise weight in half, then subtract 7 lbs from that halved number. Your answer should correspond to one of the Series 190 spring weights. If you need help with this, give us the sash weight and we'll be happy to do this for you.

Hi Bob,
I measured the window sash. It weighs 13.8 LBS.
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. Well, if your sash weighs 13.8 lbs, you just need (2) of the S190-740, one on each side of the sash. This will equal a total support for 14 lbs--the slight difference won't matter.

Bob,
So I understand correctly. Now that I have provided the sash weight you're saying the lower coil springs will be the same as the upper coil springs. My shopping cart has 4 S190-740 coil springs. Please confirm before I purchase. Thanks
Profile picture of Bob

No, if your sash weighs 13.8 lbs, I'm saying you only need one coil spring on each side of the sash, and both of these would be the S190-740 7 lb Coil Springs. I am guessing your old coil springs were for lighter spring weights (maybe 3 lbs and 4 lbs on each side, for instance), which is why you had two per side rather than just one. It's not so uncommon for someone to end up with a different number of coil springs when replacing their Coil Balance system; all that matters is matching the total amount of needed weight support.

Profile picture of Bob

I am saying get rid of them. You will have just one coil spring on each side of the sash now, rather than two. The reason for this is that the S190-740 supports 7 lbs of weight individually, so if you have one on each side of the sash, that equals 14 lbs of support, which is close enough for your 13.8 lb window sash. If that's the exact weight of your sash, you should be just fine with this change. If you need a new detent clips for just one spring, see our 15-186

Bob, ok. What about the upper coil springs behind the detent clip that I have shown in my images? Replace those, keep, or get rid of all together ? Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,
Carl
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 56525D8A-F1BB-4D4F-B4CB-85D0ED5037CF.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

My pleasure. Thanks for considering our business, it means a lot. Let us know if you need anything else!

Great. Thanks Bob. I'll order tonight.
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.