Certainteed somerton II windows

A handy person from California says:
Here is a picture of my coil spring balance on my window. It is a single coil that is 3/4 inch wide. The only number marked on it is 10. Would this indicate a 10 lb spring? Since it is only a single coil would I need a short coil? Also, this is for a single hung window. Any other information that you need to help me find the replacement part number?

thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3674.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. This looks like a 15-192 Pivot Shoe. This is compatible with our Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Springs. The Series 171 has a longer tongue and is meant to stack 'on top' of the Series 170. The '10' stamp on your old coil could indicate the spring weight, yes, but I am afraid we don't carry any Series 170 or Series 171 with that spring weight. What I would do is weigh your window sash. Then divide that exact weight in half to know how much spring weight support you need on each side of the sash. For example, let's say your sash weighs 20 lbs. Dividing that in half would get you 10 lbs of support needed on either side of the sash. What you then could do is use a S170-405 and S171-405 on both sides of the sash. Each of these coil springs are for 5 lbs of support individually, totaling the 10 lb of support needed on both sides of the sash. Just weigh your window sash to confirm the needed weight, then go from there. Let us know if you need help. 

I did weigh my window sash and it weighs just under 20 lbs. What I do not understand in your example above is I thought there was only one coil spring on my sash yet it looks like you are suggesting I use two coil springs on both sides to get the 10 lbs required on each side. I am not sure how I would incorporate the second coil spring into the existing pivot shoe? What would happen if I just used a single 9 lb coil on each side? Do you have any 10 lb coil springs that would be compatible with the coil spring photo I included in the original post?
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid we don't carry any 10 lb springs for the Series 170. Stacking another coil spring atop the other and attaching both to the Pivot Shoe really isn't any issue; you just use the 15-156 Lance Spring Cover and Series 15-157 Balance Drum to keep each spring secure. We quite frequently have customers who end up with either fewer or more coil springs than they did before; all that really matters is matching the weight support needed. In your case, going with two 9 lb springs would leave you 2 lbs short of 20 lbs; that's a bit too much margin of error in my opinion. I recommend going with (4) of the S170-405, which supports 5 lbs each. Stacking two on each side of the sash would equal the 20 lbs of spring weight support needed. 

Profile picture of Bob

My pleasure. Thanks for considering our business, we really appreciate. If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

OK that makes sense to me I will order the parts and try it out. Thank you for your help.
Profile picture of Bob

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know how you made out, it's great to hear your window is in working order again. If you need anything else from us, again, do not hesitate to ask. 

Hey Bob, I ordered the parts that you specified and yesterday I had the opportunity to install them into the window. After I figured out how to slide the pivot shoe with the two coils attached through the small opening in the side of the window, the installation went pretty easy with only minor difficulties. When I finished the installation, the window worked beautifully. Thank you for your help. It is nice to have my window opening and closing again as easily as before the coils broke. I will definitely use your company again to order any window parts I might need in the future.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.