Certainteed Tilt Window

A quick learner from Kill Devil Hills NC says:

Certainteed vinyl tilt window installed in 1998, no markings or numbers - need correct left and right pivot bar

Ordered replacement pivot bars (order #1230689). They were not the correct ones. Everything was correct except the size of pin that goes into bracket in window track. Photo 0317 shows difference in size of pin. Photo 0320 has measurements of pin for broken one. Photo 0321 shows original pivot bar installed on window. Photo 0325 shows window track. Photo 0319 shows original pivot bar on right and replacement pivot bar Swisco sent on left.

Thank you, I hope you can help me find correct part.

Tim

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0317.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0319.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0320.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0321.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0325.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Tim. Hm, this is a little odd to me. I know for a fact that the 26-175 is meant to replace this older pivot bar. It was designed by Certainteed for this very purpose. Can you go into a little more detail about why it didn't work? What about the pin prevented it from fitting into the cam? While the shape is different, the functionality should be the same. 

The pin as depicted in the photographs is too wide too fit in cam. If the new pin was vertical instead of horizontal it may work but I still believe once in cam it would not rotate into place because of width. I'm not sure the windows are 1998, the house was remodeled in 2015 and they could be from then. Sorry for confusion. Everything else about replacement part is correct except the pin itself.

Thank you for all your help
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to me. Let me clarify something: the pin of the pivot bar does not rotate within the cam. Rather, the whole cam rotates during the tilting of the window. Now, we have tested the 26-175 to replace this very pivot bar; it works. Indeed, we're even going to have a video about it within the next month that further illustrates this. To get to the point, I am confident this should work for you, and the cam will rotate just fine with this different-sized pin. 

I'll try it but the inside of the cam does not look like it will spread or rotate. Thanks I will try and get back to you.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Your pivot shoe cam should rotate. That's their entire function. When you take the sash out, the cam rotates to the vertical "U" position, like yours is now. This spreads the shoe in the track and locks it in place, allowing the shoe to remain stationary while still under pressure by the balances. Without being locked in place, it would shoot up the track and hit the springs the second you take the sash out.

This wouldn't be possible if the pivot bar was rotating inside the cam. 

When you put the sash back in and tilt it in place, the cam rotates to the horizontal "C" position. This unlocks the shoe from the track and lets it move freely. The weight of the sash prevents it from shooting up to meet the springs. This is why balances are called balances; they literally counter-balance the weight of the sash.

Bob is quite right when he describes the function of your pivot shoe and how it interacts with the 26-175. If your cam doesn't rotate as you describe, then your pivot shoe is broken and will need to be replaced. No pivot bar is meant to rotate inside the cam.

SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.