Certainteed window coil balance

A home owner from Hayward Ca says:
My Certainteed double hung windows are very hard to open. Do I need to replace the coil balance assembly?
Which part would I need to order?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5933.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

It's possible one of the coil balances, or perhaps the pivot shoe, is damaged and needs to be replaced. The only way to know for sure is to remove the assembly and look at each part to see what is broken. These coil balance systems are modular, meaning you only need to replace what's no longer working. For Certainteed coil balance systems, you should have a 15-192 Pivot Shoe, which uses the Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Balances. Watch the videos below.

A quick learner from york maine says:
Your video is great to show the order the parts go together to change a double coil system. You do not show how to get it back into the Certainteed window channel. Where do I find those directions?
Also the new swisco S 170 and S171 that were recommended have little nubs that do not fit my channels. Do i return them and get the old style?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can help. The little nubs on the 15-192 pivot shoe can be filed down. The company thought they would keep the pivot shoe straight in the track when operating the window. To get the pivot shoe and coil springs in the track, you would first put the pivot shoe into the cut out in the track (see your photo in the discussion) then have the coil springs follow it with the nylon coil spring covers. Screw the coil springs and with a screw driver place it in the metal center cam of the pivot shoe, pull the shoe down about six inches, turn the cam towards you to lock it in place.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.